Strength of schedule questions

Started by Danny L
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Danny L

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess first I should start off by figuring out if this is important or not. I didn't see it mentioned in that stickied FAQ post, and I saw previously that it is only a minor consideration, if it was considered at all

Anyway I was wondering how to evaluate strength of schedule. I have taken 14 hours a semester (13 last semester). The minimum at my school is 12 and the maximum is 21. However, I have taken 2 science courses every semester and have taken an additional intermediate (200 level) course twice out of the 4 semesters I was here so far. I also plan on having 1 or 2 minors and a STEM major by the time I graduate

As of right now, I don't plan on taking more than 14 credits/semester, although that might change if I feel the need to take more courses. At my school I need 120 credits to graduate, 18 max can come from AP credits (which I plan on using) and I'll get 112 if I do 14/sem..

Should I be concerned that I'll be penalized for having a schedule that is too easy?
 
Last edited:
At the end of the day I am almost positive an applicant won't get rejected solely because of an easy schedule.

I completed college in 4 years. I came in with 9 college credits. I took 11-16 credits a semester depending on the situation. 2 winter 1 summer class. At the end of the day make sure the school takes the credits and just take your classes.
 
You'll be fine. Others may disagree, but I feel that the rigor thing is overblown except in situations pretty different from yours. If you take 6 hours a semester and take 10 years to graduate, then your 4.0 may be looked at differently than a normal 4.0. More so if it was a 3.6. If you are full time and take science classes at a normal premed rate, then you won't be penalized for a lack of rigor. 14 hours is plenty.
 
On a list of things that admissions officers take into account, this is one of the less important.