Danny L

2+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I guess first I should start off by figuring out if this is important or not. I didn't see it mentioned in that stickied FAQ post, and I saw previously that it is only a minor consideration, if it was considered at all

Anyway I was wondering how to evaluate strength of schedule. I have taken 14 hours a semester (13 last semester). The minimum at my school is 12 and the maximum is 21. However, I have taken 2 science courses every semester and have taken an additional intermediate (200 level) course twice out of the 4 semesters I was here so far. I also plan on having 1 or 2 minors and a STEM major by the time I graduate

As of right now, I don't plan on taking more than 14 credits/semester, although that might change if I feel the need to take more courses. At my school I need 120 credits to graduate, 18 max can come from AP credits (which I plan on using) and I'll get 112 if I do 14/sem..

Should I be concerned that I'll be penalized for having a schedule that is too easy?

Last edited:

Dagrimsta1

Current Representation of MS-3
5+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2014
New York
Status
Medical Student
At the end of the day I am almost positive an applicant won't get rejected solely because of an easy schedule.

I completed college in 4 years. I came in with 9 college credits. I took 11-16 credits a semester depending on the situation. 2 winter 1 summer class. At the end of the day make sure the school takes the credits and just take your classes.

mw18

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
Status
Medical Student
You'll be fine. Others may disagree, but I feel that the rigor thing is overblown except in situations pretty different from yours. If you take 6 hours a semester and take 10 years to graduate, then your 4.0 may be looked at differently than a normal 4.0. More so if it was a 3.6. If you are full time and take science classes at a normal premed rate, then you won't be penalized for a lack of rigor. 14 hours is plenty.

aldol16

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
On a list of things that admissions officers take into account, this is one of the less important.