Strengthening my app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secondtimesacharm?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m now starting M3 and have 0 research thus far on my application... I worked on something as an M1 but it never got completed (not due to me, but a long story I won’t get into here). My institution is not one that focuses highly on research and opportunities seem to be difficult to find. My question is to people who go to similar schools, how do you get interesting and valuable research opportunities?

My plan is to speak with the PD at my institution and try to help current residents with anything they may have on their plate. I just wish I could find a truly interesting project but it looks like I’ll be focusing more on quantity at this point.

Up till now I didn’t really worry about research because I really wanted to dedicate my time to step 1. Hopefully I can still get some good research under my belt in time! If anyone has advice or similar experiences and tips, please let me know! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

At some point, you’re going to have to let go of quality/interest and just go for experience. I think you know what you need to do. When you’re asked about it during interviews or writing on your app, your excuse for lack of research can’t be “my school doesn’t focus on research so I couldn’t find any interesting studies”. Join projects ASAP.

Reactions: 1 user
At some point, you’re going to have to let go of quality/interest and just go for experience. I think you know what you need to do. When you’re asked about it during interviews or writing on your app, your excuse for lack of research can’t be “my school doesn’t focus on research so I couldn’t find any interesting studies”. Join projects ASAP.

That’s what I figured. Thanks for the input!