Strengths of NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shishka

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For any of you attending NYU who have a free minute, could you tell me what are its strong points that make the school stand out besides obviously the location? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Shishka said:
For any of you attending NYU who have a free minute, could you tell me what are its strong points that make the school stand out besides obviously the location? Thanks in advance.

-Pass/Fail
-School funded post exam parties
-Tight class (everyone in the same dorm)
-Lots of opportunities for research, fellowships, etc.
-bout 70% of the class stays over summer break to do fellowships, research, bum around (the rest can do abroad projects)
-Bellvue hospital
-High average Step I average
-Nice match list
-Netter graduated from here
-Get every jewish holiday off
-Hot girls

Members don't see this ad :)
blz said:
-Pass/Fail
-School funded post exam parties
-Tight class (everyone in the same dorm)
-Lots of opportunities for research, fellowships, etc.
-bout 70% of the class stays over summer break to do fellowships, research, bum around (the rest can do abroad projects)
-Bellvue hospital
-High average Step I average
-Nice match list
-Netter graduated from here
-Get every jewish holiday off
-Hot girls

Do you know what the Step I average is? They did not provide us with this information during the interview day. Thanks!

snowgirl said:
Do you know what the Step I average is? They did not provide us with this information during the interview day. Thanks!

235 from what i heard - nyu tends to accept good test takers so that may be part of it.

blz said:
235 from what i heard - nyu tends to accept good test takers so that may be part of it.

Wow! That is almost one standard deviation above the national avg. Can any one confirm that?

Well, one time this guy tried to inject ground up monkey spinal cords as a polio vaccine. That's pretty cool

235, that is pretty sick considering that is the starting decent score for most competitive residencies (derm, nerosurg, ortho).

I loved the school and will def consider it strongly if I get in.

Question:
Anyone notice that on the US News and World report guide to medical school it states that for the 2003 application year:
~3000 applied
~850 Interviewed
~950 got accepted

They said acceptance rate was 29.7%. Which is probably one of the highest in the country.

I initially thought it was a typo, but it says that throughtout the book.

Does anyone have data for previous years or subsequent years?

Is it considered a safe school for those who are really shooting for the top 20?

Here is the link for the book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1402202903/102-0679645-1216930?v=glance&n=283155

Thanks guys

NunoBR said:
235, that is pretty sick considering that is the starting decent score for most competitive residencies (derm, nerosurg, ortho).

I loved the school and will def consider it strongly if I get in.

Question:
Anyone notice that on the US News and World report guide to medical school it states that for the 2003 application year:
~3000 applied
~850 Interviewed
~950 got accepted

They said acceptance rate was 29.7%. Which is probably one of the highest in the country.

I initially thought it was a typo, but it says that throughtout the book.

Does anyone have data for previous years or subsequent years?

Is it considered a safe school for those who are really shooting for the top 20?

Here is the link for the book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1402202903/102-0679645-1216930?v=glance&n=283155

Thanks guys

That may be true, I did hear of a lot of people getting in off the wait list this year. However it should be noted that my class was the first admitted using AMCAS. I think that last year the admissions department wasn't as skilled at "the game", resulting in such a high admissions rate. I would imagine that will go way down. They have changed the way they do things from last year to this year, I assume in hopes of changing that.

As for being a backup school to the top 20, I can say that for some it may be. I know for me it was, in a sense. I got into Northwestern, however decided to come to NYU for various personal reasons. I don't regret my decision at all, though.

FaytlND said:
That may be true, I did hear of a lot of people getting in off the wait list this year. However it should be noted that my class was the first admitted using AMCAS. I think that last year the admissions department wasn't as skilled at "the game", resulting in such a high admissions rate. I would imagine that will go way down. They have changed the way they do things from last year to this year, I assume in hopes of changing that.

As for being a backup school to the top 20, I can say that for some it may be. I know for me it was, in a sense. I got into Northwestern, however decided to come to NYU for various personal reasons. I don't regret my decision at all, though.

Is the 235 step 1 average really true?

They did not mention it when I interviewed.

Also, I did notice in my interview there was a lot of emphasis on making sure NYU was a TRUE interest to me and that I would go there if I got in.

Why NYU? and WHY? and WHY? and WHY?
No kidding that was about 3/4 of my interview