strengths/weaknesses question on interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tam0026

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some ideas for the possible question of "strengths and weaknesses." No one wants to talk about their weak points, but I want to get an idea of what is good and not good to say. I think perfectionism is my weakness, but that can imply that if I dont get into dental school, I'll have a mental breakdown. I know we should be honest, but telling them that I am a little obsessive compulsive CAN'T be a good thing :) Input is appreciated. And btw, this site rocks--i wish i would have found it sooner when I felt like I was all alone!

Members don't see this ad.

tam0026 said:
Just wanted to get some ideas for the possible question of "strengths and weaknesses." No one wants to talk about their weak points, but I want to get an idea of what is good and not good to say. I think perfectionism is my weakness, but that can imply that if I dont get into dental school, I'll have a mental breakdown. I know we should be honest, but telling them that I am a little obsessive compulsive CAN'T be a good thing :) Input is appreciated. And btw, this site rocks--i wish i would have found it sooner when I felt like I was all alone!

You should anticipate these questions and formulate a good response. My advice is to answer them in such a way that you don't discount yourself and instead make you, the applicant and future dentist, seem that much brighter. For example, "what is your greatest weakness?" - can be answered "I am driven by a desire to be thorough and consice in my work, which sometimes causes me to cut short my breaks, etc...." - you get the idea. In short, have your negative (your weakness) be a positive for them. Some debators and instructors call this a hidden positive.

i was wondering if this would fly "i am a supersitious type of a person that i got from my family, that make me wanting to make sure things are done correctly not just once but several times b4 i say it is done."

rocknightmare said:
..."i am a supersitious type of a person"...

Superstitious? - or suffering from a mild case obsessive-compulsive behavior. I'm kidding. Saying that you need to check something multiple times before you assign your seal of approval might not be bad. But doing so might give the impression that you are undecisive or lack confidence in your skills and abilities. In my opinion stating that you are very methodical and concise in your approach would be a bit better, and then qualify that, somehow, by stating why you feel that is a negative.