Stress/hours worked per week in peds residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enantio1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been interested in learning more about what the lifestyle/hours worked in pediatric residency are like. I've heard before that the hours worked per week are comparable to internal medicine residencies... just wondering if anyone can chime in and corroborate this?

How stressful all in all have your experiences been in peds residency?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

The hours are like medicine. For most of our inpatient months we’re on for (at least) 12 days straight with two days off and then another 12 days on. Depending on how you transition from one rotation to another you can be on for 19+ days without a day off. Days on inpatient usually start at 6 am for interns and 7 am for everyone else and then end around 6 or 7 pm. The number of patients you carry is probably similar to medicine (we cap our interns at 10 patients each on non-Icu rotations).

As for stress: I don’t find it particularly stressful. As an intern it could suck writing a lot of notes but I don’t find my stress level to be that high on pediatric rotations. Peds residents are much more supervised than medicine residents (which is actually not a good thing), so you’re somewhat protected from the stress of having to make hard decisions on your own. Again, I think this is one of the biggest problems with pediatric training in general: residents are generally not given enough autonomy and not pushed hard enough to truly make tough decisions on their own.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I generally agree but I will say that not all programs are the same. Some provide much more autonomy. But that being said, we just don’t do central lines very often in kids so there is no practical way that you are going to do enough for the attending to say “I feel comfortable with them doing this without me.” Other procedures, definitely.

I think all medical related residencies are generally equal in the amount of sucking. Peds is no different. And the stress is different for everyone. I am not stressed because I love what I do and I would be crazy stressed working less hours in a different residency. I also don’t get stressed during 80 hour hospital weeks but I get really stressed in a 40 hour clinic based week that is inefficient and slow.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I've been interested in learning more about what the lifestyle/hours worked in pediatric residency are like. I've heard before that the hours worked per week are comparable to internal medicine residencies... just wondering if anyone can chime in and corroborate this?

How stressful all in all have your experiences been in peds residency?

Thanks!!

As a Med/Peds resident, I will say that the lifestyle and hours worked is comparable in the inpatient setting. In outpatient clinics, I find the amount of time (in clinic and writing notes), to be less in Peds compared to IM for the most part.

As a Med/Peds resident, I will say that the lifestyle and hours worked is comparable in the inpatient setting. In outpatient clinics, I find the amount of time (in clinic and writing notes), to be less in Peds compared to IM for the most part.

Yeah cause peds patients usually don't have 12 medical problems to follow up on and write notes about.

Reactions: 1 users