stress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmcsierra

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i want to be a doctor. i'm in high school. . but everything that i do in life i like to give 100%. at work i run to my next job, grunt and groan and hustle as much as possible to get it done. this carries over into everything that i do. my mom told me that i need to take it easy, because people who let "stress" get to them are unhealthy, like high blood pressure. when i take it easy and relax and smell the roses, i feel extremely lazy. what are your opinions? i eat well. i exercise every frree minute i have. i don't want to be a "work-a-holic" i want to enjoy life. maybe a hav ea family someday, and i am worried that if i do go to medical school that i will let it get to me. i like to coach kids' sports and play sports myself. is there time for all of this in med school or when you are a doctor? i also like to run a lot.
thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, first, Chill out! :D

Serious tho, you're only in HS...the whole world lays in front of you. My advice to you is first concentrate on college. I admire your commitment to becoming a doctor, but think that you're worrying about things just a bit much right now. Once you get into college you'll get a chance to experience the same type of academic demands that medical school places on you...you should use your undergrad years to challenge yourself in order to find out what your personal boundries are...

After this has happened, then you will have a better idea regarding whether medicine is right for you and whether you'll be able to live the kind of life you want to while pursuing a career as a doctor. In the end, it all will depend on how you feel.

On a more personal note, I'm in med school and I think I'm still able to lead a pretty balanced life...school, family, friends, a social life, a good exercise regiment...these all play a role in my routine. Granted, sometimes one (or more) of these has to take a 'backseat' to others, but as long as I maintain a sense of perspective I find I'm able to work my way through med school and keep doing the things that make me happy.

Good luck to you. And if you do decide to embark down the road towards being a doctor, don't forget to stop every now and then to live and have fun. Doing this will allow you to keep your perspective on what it means to be human and will make you a better doctor.

gmcsierra,

You need to relax and keep your mind open. I am glad you are interested in med., however, you will find once you are in college that your mind may change and that is o.k. In college I majored in Hist. and Philosophy. After college I worked in business for 7 years before realizing I wanted to go into med.

I am now in med school, and enjoying it, however, don't get so caught up in your pursuit of medicine that you neglect what is going on around you. You may be surprised to find you really love history and want to get a Phd and teach at a university. Your mind is likely to change, that's o.k. and if it doesn't thats fine too. Always do your best, but, don't close yourself off to other possiblities.

Sweaty Paul MS-II
KCOM