Aug 14, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I'm applying for an internal medicine residency and one of the programs sent me a message today saying that they cannot offer me an interview because my application wasn't complete and one of my LOR's needed to be re-written!

That's when I realized that:
1. My school didn't upload my transcript AND
2. One of my LOR writers sent the wrong letter to ERAS! (I initially asked the letter writer for a LOR for a surgical residency then had a change of heart. He accidentally sent the original surgery LOR instead of the IM LOR)

Should I have him send in a new letter to ERAS or is it too late at this point. I had no idea that my application was this screwed up. I've been on several interviews and no one had mentioned it this far. This is terrible on my part and I don't know how to fix it! Any advice will help!

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm applying for an internal medicine residency and one of the programs sent me a message today saying that they cannot offer me an interview because my application wasn't complete and one of my LOR's needed to be re-written!

That's when I realized that:
1. My school didn't upload my transcript AND
2. One of my LOR writers sent the wrong letter to ERAS! (I initially asked the letter writer for a LOR for a surgical residency then had a change of heart. He accidentally sent the original surgery LOR instead of the IM LOR)

Should I have him send in a new letter to ERAS or is it too late at this point. I had no idea that my application was this screwed up. I've been on several interviews and no one had mentioned it this far. This is terrible on my part and I don't know how to fix it! Any advice will help!
It seems a little odd that you have gotten this late in the game without having your transcript uploaded and have a LOR written for the wrong specialty. Have you been getting other interviews?

OP
T
Aug 14, 2010
Status
Medical Student
It seems a little odd that you have gotten this late in the game without having your transcript uploaded and have a LOR written for the wrong specialty. Have you been getting other interviews?
I'm really disappointed in myself. I have no one else to blame but me. I should've checked this earlier on and it all would've been prevented!

Luckily, I have been getting interviews (eleven so far) but it leaves me to wonder whether I've been getting denials because of this. I went on ERAS early this morning and switched the LOR for another, so I'm just waiting for that to upload. Also, my school sent the transcript yesterday and I'm waiting for that to upload as well. Hopefully it won't take too long! After I see the upload, I'm going to start calling programs that I haven't heard from. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Lesson learned. Check your stuff, then re-check it!!!

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm really disappointed in myself. I have no one else to blame but me. I should've checked this earlier on and it all would've been prevented!

Luckily, I have been getting interviews (eleven so far) but it leaves me to wonder whether I've been getting denials because of this. I went on ERAS early this morning and switched the LOR for another, so I'm just waiting for that to upload. Also, my school sent the transcript yesterday and I'm waiting for that to upload as well. Hopefully it won't take too long! After I see the upload, I'm going to start calling programs that I haven't heard from. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Lesson learned. Check your stuff, then re-check it!!!
One thing you could do I guess is just try to update programs you're still waiting to hear back from about interviews. I still can't believe your school didn't upload your transcript. Did they try to tell you it was your fault for not asking them to or something? I mean someone has to be responsible for that and its not a small deal

OP
T
Aug 14, 2010
Status
Medical Student
One thing you could do I guess is just try to update programs you're still waiting to hear back from about interviews. I still can't believe your school didn't upload your transcript. Did they try to tell you it was your fault for not asking them to or something? I mean someone has to be responsible for that and its not a small deal
The new letter and transcript were uploaded to my postoffice around 3p.m. today so I called as many programs as I could, and I'll get the rest tomorrow. I feel like a idiot trying to explain to these people why I'm asking them to re-download my application. However, the few residency program coordinators that I spoke with today were very helpful and some even immediately downloaded my new information. I was very thankful for that! Hopefully I'll start hearing from more programs soon!

As far as the school not uploading my transcript, I realize that it was a mistake on their part but I really should've been more aware what was going on with my application. It's so unlike me not to have done so! I'm planning to let the school know as more of a 'heads up' then rather pointing the finger. It sucks, but at least it was caught before it was too late! Whew!!!

I guess I'm so calm because I already got an invite to my top choice (hometown) program. Otherwise, I'd be a complete freak right now.

OP
T
Aug 14, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Oh yeah... And the person who I spoke with about uploading my transcript just asked me if I had sent the release for them to post the transcript, and I explained to her that I did so -- BACK IN SEPTEMBER!!!