stressed out -- please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcakezzz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I went and spoke with the admissions at GHSU last week (I am applying this cycle to about 11 other schools as well) and the admissions counselor told me my application looked great except for my sGPA which is a 3.1 and my DAT scores, which my AA was a 16. I am retaking my DAT in June and plan on killing it (I hope anyway:D). She said I still had a shot as long as I get my DAT score up. I also have been looking at the ADEA Official Guide to Dental School book and all the schools I am applying to have accepted at least one person with a 2.8/2.9. I was talking to the dean of the biology department at my college today and he laughed and told me with a 3.1 sGPA no school would ever accept me, even if everything else is great and I have an awesome interview. Then he went on to say the statistics that I was telling him was "bull****" and again no one will get in with that low of a GPA. He also went on to say how other people have applied to dental school from my college and not gotten in with even better statistics. Needless to say I walked out of his office crying and I have been a mess all day. What do you guys think? Do I stand a chance if I pull my DAT scores up to a 20+ ? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is pretty low... You definitely need a better DAT! A 16 is way below the average for accepted applicants. I'm not sure if you have a good chance at getting accepted even if you has an amazing DAT. While a good DAT helps, its not everything... I had a friend with a 3.0 and a 22 DAT that only received one interview and still hasn't been accepted. If you talked with someone in admissions, that's about as good of information you can get. Good luck.

PLEASE don't be discouraged. I have been accepted into dental school, and I start in July. My undergraduate GPA is a 3.2. VERY similar to yours. My science GPA is even lower than that, actually, a 2.9. I had a DAT AA score of 19, 20 TS.

I'm telling you this because I KNOW EXACTLY how you feel! I was a WRECK during the application cycle. :scared: But it is definitely possible. Get your DAT score up, prepare for a great interview, and just do the best you can with your classes, because we can't all be 4.8 geniuses. :) The committee noticed my GPA, but still praised me for my DAT scores, which they were impressed with. They said that its your DAT, not GPA, that is the most accurate determining factor for how you'd do in dental school. I was SO happy and excited. It's SO not impossible, I promise!!! Your advisor sounds a little crappy, too, by the way?? WHEN you're accepted, make sure you stop by his office and show him your letter. ;) Pray and don't worry about it!! Good luck to you!!!!!!! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
My overall is a 3.4 and I have great LOR's and TONS of shadowing, volunteering, and extracurricular. Plus I work 2 jobs, so I am just hoping and praying I at least get an interview somewhere.

Aim for 20+ in all sections on the DAT. Since you have an overall of 3.4 all is not lost. You may wish to address your low GPA in your personal statement or in your supplemental applications. Be prepared to answer a lot of questions about how and why your grades fell and what you did about it, will do about it, and have learned from it.

Best of luck!

There's a whole thread on this forum for people with under 3.0 GPAs and many of them get in. I'd say, don't be discouraged and keep trying. Your bio department dean probably got rejected himself and is taking it out on you.

Ok so I went and spoke with the admissions at GHSU last week (I am applying this cycle to about 11 other schools as well) and the admissions counselor told me my application looked great except for my sGPA which is a 3.1 and my DAT scores, which my AA was a 16. I also have been looking at the ADEA Official Guide to Dental School book and all the schools I am applying to have accepted at least one person with a 2.8/2.9. I was talking to the dean of the biology department at my college today and he laughed and told me with a 3.1 sGPA no school would ever accept me, even if everything else is great and I have an awesome interview. Then he went on to say the statistics that I was telling him was "bull****" and again no one will get in with that low of a GPA. He also went on to say how other people have applied to dental school from my college and not gotten in with even better statistics. Needless to say I walked out of his office crying and I have been a mess all day. What do you guys think? Do I stand a chance if I pull my DAT scores up to a 20+ ? :scared:

The admission counselor was being nice. It is a stretch to claim an "application looks" great when your main ingredients are lacking. So you believe that if the schools you applied to have a low range at 2.8/2.9 that you should also be accepted? The enrollees in question may have had a low gpa, but we know nothing about their DAT scores, which could well be in the low to mid 20's. An "awesome interview" will not make it easier to meet the rigors of ds curriculum.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=901073

There's a whole thread on this forum for people with under 3.0 GPAs and many of them get in. I'd say, don't be discouraged and keep trying. Your bio department dean probably got rejected himself and is taking it out on you.

Or it could be that the dept head is being a bit more realistic.

And no I don't think I should be accepted just because people have gotten in with even lower scores than me....I work my ass off and work two jobs along with shadowing, volunteering at a dental clinic, and am an officer in 2 clubs. Dental schools don't want "a 4.0 GPA with no social skills" then want someone well rounded...and I have been told that by MULTIPLE dental schools. Yeah my science GPA is low but whos to say I won't get a 20+ on my my DAT this time around? I am working my ass off here and if I don't get it this year I will try again the next and the next. I want to be a dentist and will work as hard as I have to until I get in.

Just concentrate on your DAT, and make sure you knock it out of the park. If you're having problems with finding the right material to study from, there is tons of good advice on which DAT material works best, here on SDN. Another step is to do a masters or a post-bac and do really well too. Basically, if you really want it, don't give up. It's not a lost cause. Good luck

it's mostly your dats, a little bit your sgpa

16's way too low especially since it was in AA, which is like most of the exam

pull yourself up to 20/3.2s/3.5o and you should be confident about your chances

And no I don't think I should be accepted just because people have gotten in with even lower scores than me....I work my ass off and work two jobs along with shadowing, volunteering at a dental clinic, and am an officer in 2 clubs. Dental schools don't want "a 4.0 GPA with no social skills" then want someone well rounded...and I have been told that by MULTIPLE dental schools. Yeah my science GPA is low but whos to say I won't get a 20+ on my my DAT this time around? I am working my ass off here and if I don't get it this year I will try again the next and the next. I want to be a dentist and will work as hard as I have to until I get in.

The problem is that there are people with 4.0 GPAs that are fairly well-rounded as well. The common handwaving of the insecure is to classify better students as nerds with no social skills.

On a more helpful note: Depending on how many hours/week your job was, you can make a great argument for disadvantaged status. Try to get in touch with woolloo, who was in a similar situation as you and got accepted.

Doctoothache usually is pretty on point with his comments even though they may seem pretty blunt. To be honest, I kinda have to agree with him...I have never met a person who had a "bad" interview with an admissions counselor in their mind. Essentially they told you that everything was fine except for the two main stats that get people into dental school...I wouldn't walk out feeling like a rock star after hearing that. The person with a 2.9 GPA may have had a 23 AA, connections to the school, a bad freshman semester and all A's since then etc...

The bio dude was more on point, albeit in a harsh manner, letting you know that it will be VERY tough to get into school with a 3.1 sGPA no matter what your DAT score. He may also be thinking...ok...this person got a 16 AA + low GPA = no motivation for dental school. Thus, he reacted in a negative way towards your chances...which should light a fire in your studying to prove him wrong.

For every student with a 2.9 sGPA and a 20+ DAT score that gets into dental school there are probably 20 who did not...that being said...

While getting a 20+ may seem fairly common and easy you are looking at moving into the top 2-5% of all DAT test takers. Considering, and please don't take this the wrong way, that you took it the first time and were below the national average at around 30-40 percentile with a 16 you have a very large hill to climb. To get a 16 you need to get around 55/100 SNS (survey natural science) questions right...to get at 22 you need to get 90/100.

How do you improve your application?

Easy...

I admire you enthusiasm for getting into dental school but maybe you need to reevaluate your schedule. Can you drop one of your jobs since being as busy as you say you are hurt your chances greatly to get into dental school?

Study for months for the DAT. How did you study before? Now change everything...look on the forums here for material to help study. Push yourself in all your class...make all A's. Sign up for additional classes for the fall semester or, if graduating, sign up for a master's program.

Study for the DAT some more...rinse...repeat...

Channel your nervous energy into your studying. Use your fear of not getting into school to drive your intellectual gains. Prove people wrong and be that 1 out of 20 that gets into school....

Best of luck!!

OP, I am not sure what your situation is regarding holding 2 jobs while taking classes and studying for the DAT. For someone with strong EC's and not so high stats, the single most efficient thing you could ever do to improve your chances as an applicant is to nail the DAT's. It is well worth quitting one job or even both at least for the time being to dedicate 100% of your focus on the DAT's for 2-3 months and knock it out of the park.

Holding two jobs is certainly commendable in the eyes of admissions but it would be difficult for them to vouch for you if you are not able to show them what you are able to accomplish academically with no outside distractions. After all, you will most likely not be working any jobs while going to dental school. If not working is absolutely not an option, then I'm afraid you've got quite an uphill battle to fight but you sound like you have the motivation for it. I am simply trying to stress the importance of a 20+ DAT score in your situation. Best of luck.

it's mostly your dats, a little bit your sgpa

16's way too low especially since it was in AA, which is like most of the exam

pull yourself up to 20/3.2s/3.5o and you should be confident about your chances

:thumbup: (Chances of at least getting interviews, who knows from then on lol)

Honestly acceptance is simply a numbers game... i think anyone could get through dental school if they work hard enough regardless of their original GPA (okay as long as its not below the cut off).. You study. You pass. It's no longer a number's game (Oh how much do I need to get an A, ohh I'd rather get a W than a C+) unless you plan to speciallize.

Back to the original poster, I think you have a good shot if you bring your DAT up and apply early. By the way, in my opinion, the people who discourage you are people who have never been accepted into the program, (not necessarily rejected). I've had a counselor tell me oh, people with 4.0's are rejected, I told her if that 4.0, without any extra curriculars applies broadly and early, surely at least one school will take them, which is the truth. They said not really and continued to talk about how hard it is, I swear making it seem like only the most amazing gifted students make it into these professional programs....

Honestly acceptance is simply a numbers game... i think anyone could get through dental school if they work hard enough regardless of their original GPA (okay as long as its not below the cut off).. You study. You pass. It's no longer a number's game (Oh how much do I need to get an A, ohh I'd rather get a W than a C+) unless you plan to speciallize.

Back to the original poster, I think you have a good shot if you bring your DAT up and apply early. By the way, in my opinion, the people who discourage you are people who have never been accepted into the program, (not necessarily rejected). I've had a counselor tell me oh, people with 4.0's are rejected, I told her if that 4.0, without any extra curriculars applies broadly and early, surely at least one school will take them, which is the truth. They said not really and continued to talk about how hard it is, I swear making it seem like only the most amazing gifted students make it into these professional programs....

Acceptance is not a numbers game (Though they are still a factor.)

Interviews are a numbers game.

Last edited:
Acceptance is not a numbers game (Though they are still a factor.)

Interviews are a numbers game.

+1 Seems that a school would only invite you to an interview if they thought you were good enough numbers wise. If they invite you for an interview, but think your numbers stink, then why would they invite you in the first place.

Acceptance may be more difficult, however, I think if you do well on your DAT that you will get interviews. Nail the interview and show them your positive DAT increase and you should be ok.

Good luck!

Sorry you can talk all you want but until you get that 20+ on the DAT you shouldn't be bragging about how hard you work (all of us work hard to get in a dental school and with that low GPA you obviously not working as hard as others or at least not making your priorities right) Your stats is low, i'm sorry im not being mean, it is what it is. Low GPA, low DAT, your chance of getting an interview is close to zero. The admission counselor just being nice to you, no reason to crush some one with the reality when you dont know them. And the fact that you work two jobs mean close to nothing to dental school, brag about how good you at with your social skills, im 100% positive they wont give a damn with that kind of stats. EC, shadowing hours and LOR only affect a small part of your application, do not hope that it will get you an interview. It is your GPA and DAT that will get you that interview. They only care about well rounded applicant after they look at you stats

Last edited:
My overall is a 3.4 and I have great LOR's and TONS of shadowing, volunteering, and extracurricular. Plus I work 2 jobs, so I am just hoping and praying I at least get an interview somewhere.

Your GPAs are similar to mine but I got a 22+ on my 2nd DAT -all sections over 20- same ECs etc. I also had 2 jobs. Went to a competitive undergrad if that means anything. The other key point on the GPA is upward trend.

11 acceptances this cycle (incl. Columbia, Tufts, Michigan, Buffalo, Western, etc). I also turned down some interview offers post Dec.

None of the Assistant Deans/Admissions officers I consulted with were negative like that. They were supportive and I kept them updated with my progress before the application cycle opened up.

I've posted before on SDN that GPA isn't everything but it has to be offset with a great DAT (no sections under 20 if your sGPA is on the low end). Make sure to re-take only when you are ready.

The dean you talked to was probably having a bad day.

*ALSO: apply to more schools...if you nail the DAT. Apply early.

Last edited: