Pre Opt Student

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Optometry
Hey,

So im a little stressed out because last night I was sitting around and calculated my pre-req GPA and it is horrible. Now I am worried about my application this sept. Im a Canadian applicant and my overall GPA is alright, about a 3.3. But, my pre-req GPA for SOME schools is 2.9!!! and some 3.0. This is really stressful because I could have taken english this summer and boosted it up to like 3.4 but i already have SO MUCH on my plate..like chem,organic chem, AND OAT. I dont think its possible to do an english course. Also, Ive done a half writing course..would that count as "english" and could take another half writing or english credit?..i dont kno im soooo worried now....i thought i had an alright chance but now im thinking maybe not and want to fix what i can before september.

Framecontrol

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2007
Status
Optometry Student
"If you have a big problem in your life, all that means is you are being a small person." T.Harv

Observe your thoughts and entertain only those that empower you.

What you focus on you will recieve.

WORK YOUR BUTT OFF!!!!!!!

OP
P

Pre Opt Student

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Optometry
wow now that i looked at it again i think i just stressed myself out for no reason - i think i calculated it wrong..im gonna call the schools soon and double check though.

Ive read you are applying this september also? What schools are you applying to?

Framecontrol

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2007
Status
Optometry Student
wow now that i looked at it again i think i just stressed myself out for no reason - i think i calculated it wrong..im gonna call the schools soon and double check though.

Ive read you are applying this september also? What schools are you applying to?
First of all your degree audit should have your GPA for your major and for all of your classes.

My degree audit includes all of that information.

What schools will I apply to? That is a good question, I have to make a pros and cons list of all of the schools.

Here is the order of what schools I want to apply to..
-SCCO
-Berkley
-NOVA
-SUNY

3.53 gpa, no OAT's yet, plenty of shadowing volunteer work, leader of pre-opt club, working at an opt. place this summer.

I hope i can just nail SCCO and be done with it, take out my 200,000 loan and focus on my goals.

Anyway, do what you need to do in order to get where you need to go. Bumpy roads will always be there.... accept them and move on.

Whats ur deal?

Monkee2008

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Optometry
I think you'll be fine, as long as you apply early, do good on your interview, and have okay scores on your OAT. The best advice is to apply early even if you haven't taken all the prereqs and OAT. People with great GPAs and work experience still might not make it in if they apply near deadline.

OP
P

Pre Opt Student

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Optometry
Hey thanks for the hope! But i forgot i took a writing class that the schools consider okay for the english credit so its actually a 3.16 pre-req gpa..which i kno isnt good but my overall gpa is better...hopefully i can do REALLY good on the OAT to balance..

I wont get into what im involved in because there are too many to list lol..

Also, Framecontrol..

I hope you get into SCCO, goodluck!

I plan on applying to:
PCO
NECO
SUNY
NOVA
ICO
Waterloo

aDubs

10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2008
Status
Optometry Student
i think you can even out your chances by doing well on the OAT's. Don't let this stress you out. Alot of other people wish they had the same GPA as you, Pre Opt Student. IF you find this stressful, ie. the courses that everyone takes (the pre-reqs), then maybe you should re-evaluate before you head to optometry school. Life is just going to get harder. Survival of the fitest. Its a tough world out there.

OP
P

Pre Opt Student

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Optometry
I realize that. I just want to be competitive and get in on my first try. My overall GPA is pretty good..and ive seen ppl on this forum getting in with lower pre-req gpas than me even..so as long as i do good on the OAT i think i have a good chance.