Stressing over UHCO!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amoeba S.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Houston optometry school yet? I've heard back from all my top choice schools except UHCO. I also called the admissions office but they gave me the usual broad answers. Anyways here are my stats:
GPA: Overall= 3.70; Science: 3.89
OAT: Overall= 370 overall

Anyways I'm really freaking out/stressed. Is Houston just late or what? Anyone with similar stats going through the same thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from Houston optometry school yet? I've heard back from all my top choice schools except UHCO. I also called the admissions office but they gave me the usual broad answers. Anyways here are my stats:
GPA: Overall= 3.70; Science: 3.89
OAT: Overall= 370 overall

Anyways I'm really freaking out/stressed. Is Houston just late or what? Anyone with similar stats going through the same thing?
Howdy! Just wondering, when did you apply? You have super awesome stats, so I don't know why you haven't heard back yet. Also, are you from Texas? I applied back on September 1 (mailed off Sept 5 or so) and I still haven't heard back. I have friends that are starting to hear back now...ahh the wait is stressing me out too.

call them again? I had the same problem. I called them this week and they were like "oh, we were just about to send out your interview invite later this week". OR you might be getting an invite too in the mail soon? I have no idea why they're taking forever. I mailed my optomcas in late Sept. The interview they offered me is in January though which I'm a little worried about b/c I'm already interviewing now at other schools... Timing wise, it's not the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
call them again? I had the same problem. I called them this week and they were like "oh, we were just about to send out your interview invite later this week". OR you might be getting an invite too in the mail soon? I have no idea why they're taking forever. I mailed my optomcas in late Sept. The interview they offered me is in January though which I'm a little worried about b/c I'm already interviewing now at other schools... Timing wise, it's not the best.
Do you mind me asking what your stats were like? Thanks in advance!

From personal experience, I think UHCO works a lot slower than other schools do. Not sure if it's a staff issue or they have a lot of applicants at this time. I know definitely that out of the 4 schools I applied to, UHCO was the last to get back to me. However, I did send in my application relatively early, so it only took UH a couple of weeks? It's helpful to keep in contact with them so they know you're truly interested. Don't be too stressed out (I know it's easy to say that in retrospect) - everything will be okay!

Edit - also I've been hearing a lot lately about the 700 rule. Just wanted to let you guys know that I do not fit the rule, so don't stress too much about that either!

I'm so stressed too.. its been exactly a month and I've haven't heard anything.. ):

Same with me! I have heard back from the 5 other schools I applied to and not a word from UHCO. I submitted everything to Optomcas by the first week of September.
What is the 700 rule?

I'm stressing so much about this as well! :'(

To anyone who applied and heard back from SUNY: How long upon their receipt of your application did you hear back for an interview invite or decline? Online it says 4-5 weeks but right now for me it's been a little past 5 weeks and I'm hesitating to wait a little longer or give them a call...

I'm stressing so much about this as well! :'(

To anyone who applied and heard back from SUNY: How long upon their receipt of your application did you hear back for an interview invite or decline? Online it says 4-5 weeks but right now for me it's been a little past 5 weeks and I'm hesitating to wait a little longer or give them a call...

You can call the admissions office to find out. I applied very early. I received the interview invite 4 days after they received my application.

I've been hearing a lot lately about the 700 rule. Just wanted to let you guys know that I do not fit the rule, so don't stress too much about that either!
b8em6w

What were your stats and are you from texas? The 700 rule is your gpa added to your oat score. e.g 3.4 gpa and 320 oat gives you 660. The closer you are to 700 the better the chances.. that's what I was told.

What were your stats and are you from texas? The 700 rule is your gpa added to your oat score. e.g 3.4 gpa and 320 oat gives you 660. The closer you are to 700 the better the chances.. that's what I was told.

Thank you for your clarafication.

That's a direct quote from my earlier post in this thread - I think this person is a troll. But I added up to a 650.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from them yet (it's late jan now). Those who applied in November and was waiting for a response. I just wanted an update because I'm still playing the waiting games as well. Thank you!

Has anyone heard from them yet (it's late jan now). Those who applied in November and was waiting for a response. I just wanted an update because I'm still playing the waiting games as well. Thank you!

I applied in Dec and received an interview invite last week (but will probably decline the offer). Interview dates appear to be 2-3 weeks away from the interview invite date. They definitely take a lot longer than other schools though! You'll probably hear from this this week!

I applied in Dec and received an interview invite last week (but will probably decline the offer). Interview dates appear to be 2-3 weeks away from the interview invite date. They definitely take a lot longer than other schools though! You'll probably hear from this this week!

Okay thank you! I applied in November so I just got really worried since my friends applied late and got an interview before I did. I'll be on the lookout!

So…I applied in mid December and called today to check on my app. The online supplemental website doesn't even show that everything is in even though I submitted everything a month and a half ago but the admissions dept gave me confirmation that my app is complete. They said it hasn't been reviewed yet =/. Does anyone have any idea how many seats are left for the Fall class?

So…I applied in mid December and called today to check on my app. The online supplemental website doesn't even show that everything is in even though I submitted everything a month and a half ago but the admissions dept gave me confirmation that my app is complete. They said it hasn't been reviewed yet =/. Does anyone have any idea how many seats are left for the Fall class?
I applied in September and still haven't heard back :( I call once a month to check and I'm always told "your file is ready to be reviewed." I asked if they are allowed to tell me how many seats are left, but they are not. They did tell me there are seats left, however, just not a specified number. Since you just applied in December, I would give it a bit more time.

Ive been getting the same response as all of you guys. I call oncr a month as well to check and they alway tell me that my file is up for commitee review. Same answer for the past 3 months. I just intervieeed today with rso and that is my back up school if i dont get anything from houston. Thing is, if i get in then i woulf only have 3 weeks to decide if i want to accept the seat. UHCO needs to be more efficient because people need to know if they will or will not receive an interview so they can plan accordingly . Ugh! Everyone has already responded to my application!

Thanks I already left him a message. This other lady already submitted my app for committee review but I don't know if that means anything. All I can do is to keep calling in and checking the status. Thanks for the contact though!
I took Rose Babel's advice and called Mr. Lyle Tate today. He told me my file is still under review, but I should hopefully hear something within the next few weeks. I think they're beginning to re-review older applications now (the ones that did not get an immediate invite). The past 5 months have been killing me :(

I took Rose Babel's advice and called Mr. Lyle Tate today. He told me my file is still under review, but I should hopefully hear something within the next few weeks. I think they're beginning to re-review older applications now (the ones that did not get an immediate invite). The past 5 months have been killing me :(

Okay I'll try to call them again. The past 5 months have been killing me as well haha. Keep me updated if you get anything! :)

Okay I'll try to call them again. The past 5 months have been killing me as well haha. Keep me updated if you get anything! :)
I just received an interview invite through e-mail! I was definitely not expecting it. It was after I sent my Academic Update. Good luck to every one waiting!

I think they're beginning to re-review older applications now (the ones that did not get an immediate invite)

This must be true, I also just received an email inviting me for an interview, and I applied in august. I don't think I even met their requirements for letters of recommendation so I was expecting to never hear from them (also I'm not from Texas). I accepted an offer from another school months ago, so hopefully one of you guys can take my interview spot. Good luck!