Strict GPA Residency Cutoffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karawak07

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm curious if anyone knows how rigid the 3.0 GPA cutoffs are for residency applications? For example, if someone has a 2.97 GPA is there still a possibility of being interviewed at residencies with a 3.0 cutoff? Is it a grey area, or very black and white.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If they like your work during your externship years, they might be able to make an exception. At that point, if you have a 4.0, but are impossible to work with, then you will not match there. In your example, if that applicant is hardworking, goes the extra mile, and can work within a collaborative manner, then I believe the PDs can make an exception. IMO, our work during the 3rd/4th years matters way more for residency than GPAs cutoff.

But that's what I have seen/heard from uppers since I'm also a student, so maybe a resident/attending can comment.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also not too sure, but from what I've heard, everything is mostly based on your externship performance, & if you're a good fit for the program.
However, I am quite skeptical when it comes to the competitive programs asking for a 3.5+, if they have enough students applying with that GPA, I feel like they would skip over people with less than that. If anyone can chime in, that would be great.

Reactions: 1 user
Some programs do have strict cut-offs and won’t even view your application past that. Others have more of a “recommendation” for GPA. As long as you perform well on your externship, GPA will be one of their last concerns. But, take that as a generalization- everything is always going to be program dependent. I would ask classmates from your school that have attended the specific program for more detailed insight.

Reactions: 1 users