Strong applicant without volunteer experience?

Started by meander
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

meander

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I'm wondering to what extent volunteer/healthcare experience will make or break a post-bac application.

I think otherwise I have a very strong application: 3.6 GPA from a top UG in a tough major, 1550/1600 SAT, top of my class in high school, a lot of UG research experience, but haven't taken any core courses previously. I also have a compelling personal statement/reason for career change -- I'm confident that if I get an interview I can easily demonstrate my interest and commitment. However, I have no volunteer or healthcare experience. I have shadowed on a couple of occasions, that's it. Do I have a chance at the more selective programs? Has anyone been accepted with a similar background?
 
Hi all, I'm wondering to what extent volunteer/healthcare experience will make or break a post-bac application.

I think otherwise I have a very strong application: 3.6 GPA from a top UG in a tough major, 1550/1600 SAT, top of my class in high school, a lot of UG research experience, but haven't taken any core courses previously. I also have a compelling personal statement/reason for career change -- I'm confident that if I get an interview I can easily demonstrate my interest and commitment. However, I have no volunteer or healthcare experience. I have shadowed on a couple of occasions, that's it. Do I have a chance at the more selective programs? Has anyone been accepted with a similar background?

You've got shadowing. You should be OK for getting into a post-bacc. You're going to need to start accruing clinical experience soon for your med school app though.
 
You've got shadowing. You should be OK for getting into a post-bacc. You're going to need to start accruing clinical experience soon for your med school app though.

I agree.

Also, any 4 year institution will do the trick. You don't need to move away or anything if you have a university nearby receptive to career changers and post-baccs.
 
I agree.

Also, any 4 year institution will do the trick. You don't need to move away or anything if you have a university nearby receptive to career changers and post-baccs.

You mean "any 4 year institution" for taking the pre-med courses? I'm hoping to do one of the one year programs with linkage.