Strong Base and Strong nucleophile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nwu

Just yes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the list compounds for a strong base/ but weak Nu and vice versa.

But I am having trouble making a list of compounds that are both Strong Nu and Strong bases. So far I only have two compounds NaOH and alkoxides (provided they are not bulky). I was thinking of adding amidogen, NH2- to the list. It is a very strong base, but I'm not sure if it is a strong Nu. My instinct would say yes, but reading online, people seem to say that NH2- would much rather act as a base than Nu.

So would NH2- count as SB and Strong Nu?

Also if there are other SB and Strong Nu that I am missing, let me know.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, one last question. Can anyone explain why NaN3 or sodium azide is a strong nu but a weak base. Specifically, I don't understand why it is a weak base. In general, I think of stability when it comes to weak bases. Weak bases are more stable and can distribute the electrons and so are not reactive. When I look at NaN3, it cannot form a stable resonance structure and in its current state it has a significant degree of separation of charge. It makes it seem like it is very unstable thus reactive and so a SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.