Struggling in neuroanatomy, does it matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd imagine. That's ridiculous. I don't understand how/why your dean thinks that is acceptable.

The school has made a bunch of changes over the last several years to make medical training less rough on students. Needless to say, I am sure this has caused a huge culture clash.

Our professor is a very dedicated teacher, and he really cares about student learning. He has won the top teacher award so many times he was banned from winning it again. However, he really clings to the way he wants to teach the couse. Sometimes it's well done. Other times, it could really use some modernization. While he does have a high fail rate for the M1 class, everyone passed the M2 Neuropath class (taught by the same team).

Still, I'm pretty sure our admin is not a huge fan of this professor's methodology (and I agree with them). And I know that it causes tons of misery for the students who find themselves on the other side of the pass line.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oddly enough ucladoc2b I'm nearly certain we're at the same school based on the professor being banned from winning top teacher award. Just to provide a bit of the opposite perspective, I think it's the only course during the year that you can't cram for, which is a huge change for a lot of people and I suspect why it causes so many problems. I would argue the course is very doable if you actually went ahead and did all the practice problems, cases and quizzes he gave during the semester. The questions were all very Step I like per some MS2's, again a total departure from much of the rest of our curriculum.

Oddly enough ucladoc2b I'm nearly certain we're at the same school based on the professor being banned from winning top teacher award. Just to provide a bit of the opposite perspective, I think it's the only course during the year that you can't cram for, which is a huge change for a lot of people and I suspect why it causes so many problems. I would argue the course is very doable if you actually went ahead and did all the practice problems, cases and quizzes he gave during the semester. The questions were all very Step I like per some MS2's, again a total departure from much of the rest of our curriculum.

I agree with you to an extent. He does try to be organized in his approach. Some of his teaching and organization, however, I really think fell short (as indicated by the class average on the second half of the final). Whenever you have more than 20% of students failing a class on a consistant basis (and likely a significant number coming close), it's a problem. Undergrad science "weed out" courses may have a fail rate half of that number. At the medical school level, it is really distrubing.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL, I think we are in the same class and I'm feeling the same way. I think it has less to do with the material and more how it is presented. Our instructors aren't the best, and I'm pretty sure most people hate that class.

I created this post after the lab exam which I assumed I failed. Turns out I did average, but I was a little freaked out over the weekend. I'm worried about the upcoming test with all the Cassell lectures. I can't stand his weird, throaty breath on panopto. Has a darth vader-esque quality.

I created this post after the lab exam which I assumed I failed. Turns out I did average, but I was a little freaked out over the weekend. I'm worried about the upcoming test with all the Cassell lectures. I can't stand his weird, throaty breath on panopto. Has a darth vader-esque quality.

Yup yup. I agree. I've heard from M4s that the tests throughout the semester are pretty rough, but the final is a lot easier and makes up for it. I haven't gone to class since the last test and now I'm trying to catch up.

Wait, your OP was in reponse to you THINKING you failed ONE exam within the entire course?

Dude/Lady, take a chill pill after your exams. I would make it a pre-req that you wait until the grade comes back before you worry about whether you failed your first test.

Wait, your OP was in reponse to you THINKING you failed ONE exam within the entire course?

Dude/Lady, take a chill pill after your exams. I would make it a pre-req that you wait until the grade comes back before you worry about whether you failed your first test.

Well, it was the second test in the class. The first test was a written test and almost 20% of the class failed it.