Struggling in SMP... HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stresseddo195

Reaction score
So, I just finished my first semester at a 1 year smp. The school I attend used only ABCDF grading system with no + or - . I unfortunately ended my anatomy course with 80.3 “C” grade. The rest of my courses are A’s but because the anatomy course is worth 8 credits my fall semester gpa is a 2.7 and I’m now in academic probation. Per advice of my academic adviser, I already applied for this cycle to DO schools only, but because of gpa I can’t send in my fall semester grades . Idk what to do at this point. I know I put myself in a horrible position . I literally can’t afford to get anything less than 4.0 next semester. Idk if I should drop the program or continue. I just don’t know what went wrong in that course . I did everything I was “supposed” to do as suggested by other students, advisors, and my professors in order to succeed but I still did not accomplish getting the B I needed for my anatomy course. Anyways any advice is appreciated .

Members don't see this ad.

An 80 is a C?????????????? On what planet is this?

If you were my advisee, I'd recommend sticking at it and applying broadly, and especially target the new schools. To be honest, you'd be DOA at my school, but UIW, ICOM, BCOM and the two AR schools etc should give you some love.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also OP, have one of your lOR writers from the SMP explain the insane grading schema. If I saw a C grade and then an explanation that it was from an 80%, I'd cut you some serious slack.

OP, undergrad stats? MCAT?

Also OP, have one of your lOR writers from the SMP explain the insane grading schema. If I saw a C grade and then an explanation that it was from an 80%, I'd cut you some serious slack.

To be fair, even if he got a B with his 80 in anatomy, he'd only have a 3.3 GPA, which is still low for an SMP.

I will definitely try to get a letter ! thanks

OP, undergrad stats? MCAT?

To be fair, even if he got a B with his 80 in anatomy, he'd only have a 3.3 GPA, which is still low for an SMP.

facts, but it would be much easier to bring up a 3.3 gpa vs a 2.8 .

Reactions: 1 user

If you were my advisee, I'd recommend sticking at it and applying broadly, and especially target the new schools. To be honest, you'd be DOA at my school, but UIW, ICOM, BCOM and the two AR schools etc should give you some love.

Right? That doesn't even make sense.

Reactions: 1 user

It sounds like this crazy grading scale.
A - 94-100
B - 87-93
C - 78-86
D - 70-77
F - 0-69

Given the OP still should have done better than they did in the course

I'm sorry you're in a tough position, but just keep at it and it will be worth it. I just graduated from my SMP in December and had a somewhat similar experience. I had an 81 in my biostatistics course which was a C and I received two Bs where my final average for both courses was a 92. I ended up finishing with a 3.6 overall and I am studying for the MCAT (May 18th), and if I do well I am going to cast a wide net for DO programs.

Best of luck, take it one day at a time and remember that you're own your own timezone with this journey and you will get there one day!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users