Struggling through OMS-1...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

younggunner94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN, as the title says, my first year of medical school has not gone as well as I would have hoped. Throughout this year, I have worked hard studying for exams, only to be disappointed at just about every exam score that I have received.

I did well on the MCAT (515 with perfect scores in the science sections), but my undergrad GPA was lacking. This seems to be a problem with me, as I have a hard time staying motivated through the longer and more grueling classes...

Now in med school, I am passing my classes, but scoring well below average (between 0.5-1 SD below average). I attribute my poor grades this year to a lack of motivation. It seems to compound each time I do poorly on an exam. I don't feel that its a matter of not grasping the material, but simply not performing on test day. I've never been the type of student to memorize every tiny detail a professor presents, but rather focus on the bigger picture..

I seem to be such in a vicious cycle where I muster the energy and courage to study hard, I try to fine tune my studying styles, and I usually get into a groove and feel decent about the material. Then test day comes around and my confidence is crushed as I continue to score between 0.5-1 SD below average.

The main thing that is stressing me out due to this is the fear that I will not match into a residency. I go to a DO school and there is so much uncertainty in the air with my classmates, regarding the merger. Everyone is saying that we are going to lose a ton of rotation spots and residencies are losing DO residency spots to new MD schools that seem to be popping up everywhere, and when we match the MDs will be given clear preference..

I want to match into maybe EM, IM, PM&R, sports med, or maybe psych. Are my preclinical grades going to hold me back when match day comes around (if I score decently on step1,2)? It is getting EXHAUSTING going through this cycle - simply getting a somewhat decent test score would be so rewarding for me. The year is almost over and I am pushing hard to finish strong, but can someone give me some words of encouragement? I could really use them right about now.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Get a set of Broencephalon/Zanki/ w/e and go control your destiny this summer (i.e. do them). Worrying changes nothing, you see the future, get ready for it.

Edit: Don't get down also, I got stomped my first semester, and I definitely bounced back. Sometimes it takes more time to hit your roll.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello SDN, as the title says, my first year of medical school has not gone as well as I would have hoped. Throughout this year, I have worked hard studying for exams, only to be disappointed at just about every exam score that I have received.

I did well on the MCAT (515 with perfect scores in the science sections), but my undergrad GPA was lacking. This seems to be a problem with me, as I have a hard time staying motivated through the longer and more grueling classes...

Now in med school, I am passing my classes, but scoring well below average (between 0.5-1 SD below average). I attribute my poor grades this year to a lack of motivation. It seems to compound each time I do poorly on an exam. I don't feel that its a matter of not grasping the material, but simply not performing on test day. I've never been the type of student to memorize every tiny detail a professor presents, but rather focus on the bigger picture..

I seem to be such in a vicious cycle where I muster the energy and courage to study hard, I try to fine tune my studying styles, and I usually get into a groove and feel decent about the material. Then test day comes around and my confidence is crushed as I continue to score between 0.5-1 SD below average.

The main thing that is stressing me out due to this is the fear that I will not match into a residency. I go to a DO school and there is so much uncertainty in the air with my classmates, regarding the merger. Everyone is saying that we are going to lose a ton of rotation spots and residencies are losing DO residency spots to new MD schools that seem to be popping up everywhere, and when we match the MDs will be given clear preference..

I want to match into maybe EM, IM, PM&R, sports med, or maybe psych. Are my preclinical grades going to hold me back when match day comes around (if I score decently on step1,2)? It is getting EXHAUSTING going through this cycle - simply getting a somewhat decent test score would be so rewarding for me. The year is almost over and I am pushing hard to finish strong, but can someone give me some words of encouragement? I could really use them right about now.

Thank you.
Time for a visit to your school's counseling center, STAT.

I'm not a mental health professional, but I'm getting a whiff of depression and possibly some self-sabotaging behavior as well. These things are not well managed on an anonymous message board.

Suggest reconsidering a career in medicine as well. It's only going to get harder. Where will your motivation be when you're pulling 80 hour weeks in residency?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To the hypotheticals: Step scores matter more than grades. So killer Step scores will trump average grades. But if you’re not pulling the grades and memorizing the tiny minutiae, a killer step score will be difficult to attain.

That being said, you have to stop convincing yourself you’re not good at memorizing details. If you don’t convince yourself right now that you can and will memorize details, then you, sir, are f’ed. All there is to it. I agree with Goro that there’s a hint of self sabotage in your post, so quit focusing on the past, and realize the only way forward is to bust ass and reinvent your study habits. At the end of the day, it’s a game. Study the game and figure out how to win it. Look at what you missed and why. Again, the only way forward is to forget past mistakes and focus on how to study smarter, harder, more efficiently.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm not a mental health professional, but I'm getting a whiff of depression and possibly some self-sabotaging behavior as well. These things are not well managed on an anonymous message board.

Suggest reconsidering a career in medicine as well. It's only going to get harder. Where will your motivation be when you're pulling 80 hour weeks in residency?
Another uninformed comment by our faculty member that never went to medical school.

Don't feel bad, OP. That's how medical school is almost for everyone. It's a rollercoaster of emotions and pushing through. You just can't let it stop you. Everyone feels like they got slapped in the face by the test. Everyone worries that they will never match.

As someone that struggled in preclinical, I understand. Things will get better, and no, your preclinical grades don't matter. I loved the clinical years and don't mind working the 80+ hours demanded of me. I much rather do that than anything preclinical. Please don't listen to these PhDs that "teach" a month class of preclinical curriculum that have never set foot in a hospital. There is no "career reconsideration" to be happening while you're going through something normal.

Reactions: 10 users
Welcome to med school amigo!!!

Another uninformed comment by our faculty member that never went to medical school.

Don't feel bad, OP. That's how medical school is almost for everyone. It's a rollercoaster of emotions and pushing through. You just can't let it stop you. Everyone feels like they got slapped in the face by the test. Everyone worries that they will never match.

As someone that struggled in preclinical, I understand. Things will get better, and no, your preclinical grades don't matter. I loved the clinical years and don't mind working the 80+ hours demanded of me. I much rather do that than anything preclinical. Please don't listen to these PhDs that "teach" a month class of preclinical curriculum that have never set foot in a hospital. There is no "career reconsideration" to be happening while you're going through something normal.

I also support this to be an unfounded conclusion.

The first two years is a pure grind and is emotionally taxing. You will be depressed. Even the most cheery people will be shook to their core. This does not, I repeat DOES NOT mean it’s the wrong career choice. No preclinical grades don’t matter.

I am also a big picture person and school was a rough transition. I recommend hitting the repetitions for the detail. Make your first pass of material all about the big picture then each subsequent pass start adding details to your big picture.

This will be the biggest grind you ever make but keep your nose to the grindstone and give yourself one night a week off to do whatever you want. Absolutely zero studying. It will refresh you.

Reactions: 3 users
Welcome to med school amigo!!!
What did you do to get on the Bad Boy list?
To the rest of you who think that the OP is just par for the course, as someone who has seen scores of struggling students, my concern is that the OP is on a downward spiral.

Getting help is not a sign of weakness, or a loss of face.

Reactions: 5 users

Thank you.

You’re pulling the cart before the horse with the bolded portion. With your interests, preclinical grades won’t matter. You’re adding unnecesssary stress about hypothetical things that are years down the line. You absolutely have to take med school with a mind set of one day at a time. Do what you can to control today and the dominoes will fall in the years to come. Some people struggle first year, some don’t. IMO 1st year is a transition year. The best thing to learn in 1st year is perseverance and tenacity. From your mcat and grades, it sounds like you have to have more time to absorb material. I’m the same way. There are people that can learn it quickly “essentially pump and dump” and then there’s others who have to have more time. I’m a bottom to top sort of learner and honestly it wasn’t the best for preclinical grades. I’m on the lower end of class rank but doing well on boards. I learned what I had to for me to understand what was needed to get through class and now just filling in holes during dedicated for boards. You need to worry about building a solid foundation for long term memory rather than trying to memorize and perfect everything. It’ll definitely show when board season comes around. Some (definitely not all) higher ranks are having a much more stressful time for boards because of our different approaches and learning styles so do what works for you. Just keep studying, go through Anki,and boards won’t be as bad as it may seem. you’ll get the score you need/want for residency as long as you keep grinding away

I know that feel well, OP. I struggled super hardcore through preclinical, even had some bouts of depression and also felt like every bad test only further decreased motivation. All I can say is to hang tough, and I assure you it gets so much better. I would rather work the 80 hour weeks on surgery again for a month than repeat even a week of the preclinical BS.

What did you do to get on the Bad Boy list?
To the rest of you who think that the OP is just par for the course, as someone who has seen scores of struggling students, my concern is that the OP is on a downward spiral.

Getting help is not a sign of weakness, or a loss of face.

hahaha Just keeping it real like you always have since I was on in my pre-med days.

People can't stand to hear the truth and are very sensitive and get butthurt easily these days.

I agree my delivery can use some work... but ain't nobody got time for that.

It is what it is tho.

Love you Goro! You're a GEM on these boards. Thank you for all the time and solid advice you give on here.

I, as well as many others on here, wouldn't be where we are without your encouragement, advice, and care.

<3

Reactions: 1 user
The year is almost over and I am pushing hard to finish strong, but can someone give me some words of encouragement? I could really use them right about now.

Thank you.
—Advice: Don’t let little problems snowball into big problems. Don’t let one bad exam (or even a few of them) equal a failed career in your head. I know it’s hard, I’ve been there, but stopping yourself from turning little problems into huge catastrophes is key.
—Encouragement: I wasn’t a good student first year, not by a long shot. But I did decently on USMLE, well on COMLEX, well on rotations, and matched my #1 IM program (a community program for full disclosure, but exactly where I want to be). All hope is not lost for you.

Reactions: 7 users
—Advice: Don’t let little problems snowball into big problems. Don’t let one bad exam (or even a few of them) equal a failed career in your head. I know it’s hard, I’ve been there, but stopping yourself from turning little problems into huge catastrophes is key.
—Encouragement: I wasn’t a good student first year, not by a long shot. But I did decently on USMLE, well on COMLEX, well on rotations, and matched my #1 IM program (a community program for full disclosure, but exactly where I want to be). All hope is not lost for you.

I fall more in love with you day by day ortnakas...

(SIGGGHHHHHH)....

<3

Members don't see this ad :)

THIS.

It will all fall into place and you will end up with a spot come match day. Don't let the s*hit people spew on this forum discourage you in any way. I agree with @Goro in that you should at least sit down and talk to someone a little more qualified than all of us. There's something else attributing to your definition of failure than the fact that you think you won't place for a residency of your choosing. Like others have said, it's only going to get harder and I'm sure you knew it wouldn't be a cake walk. Remember, you're a part of an extremely small percentage of people that were deemed capable of succeeding in medicine by your university. As a physician you are always a student, never a master. Keep pushing forward.

I know I made the correct career choice, and I know that being means being a lifelong student. Preclinical studying is much different than actually helping patients and doing rounds, and I know my motivation will not be a question in the long run when I am actively caring for my patients.

@Goro I will seek out help, and am not reluctant to do so - my school's counseling office has not been very helpful to me in the past but I will absolutely give it another shot.

I just want to say thank you to everyone, this forum is a blessing and I would not be where I am today without it. It's a long road but I will continue picking my head up, learning from my mistakes, and moving forward. God bless you all.

Thank you.

High Cs, low Bs

Whenever you pass a class it's time to celebrate and say &*$% it. Especially w/ so much of pre-clinical classes being filled with non-board relevant crap that you won't remember longer than a week anyway... about half way through first year started looking at 'grades' as P/F for my own sanity. If it was an A B or C, looked at is as another pass and didn't look back.

Whenever you pass a class it's time to celebrate and say &*$% it. Especially w/ so much of pre-clinical classes being filled with non-board relevant crap that you won't remember longer than a week anyway... about half way through first year started looking at 'grades' as P/F for my own sanity. If it was an A B or C, looked at is as another pass and didn't look back.
I feel like the class rank becomes more of an issue than the actual grades though...at some schools they only count the preclinical years like mine. I'm much in that mindset of passing with an 85% but the rest of my class isn't thats for sure

Your not getting gifts from a MS2, soon to be MS3 who driving an hour to see you right? I feel bad if you were @QueenJames loan repayment plan.

Unfortunately, that actually fell through. lol

I've slowly come to the realization that numerous chicks in medicine have some huge chips on their shoulder and are just frickin' weird (atleast the ones I have come across).

Most of the cool ones I vibed really well with are already in relationships and locked down and the pool that I'm stuck with are nothing I want to deal with personally.

Looks like I gotta deal with being single and/or hopefully snagging a few of these nursing students while I can.

:(

Last edited:
I feel like the class rank becomes more of an issue than the actual grades though...at some schools they only count the preclinical years like mine. I'm much in that mindset of passing with an 85% but the rest of my class isn't thats for sure

Derm, ortho? Yeah.. but most specialties don’t care about rank as long as your board scores are good. Uber competitive specialties might have an issue with it, but generally you’ll have to be busting your ass anyways that rank generally falls into place if those are the goal for residency.

Unfortunately, that actually fell through. lol

I've slowly come to the realization that numerous chicks in medicine have some huge chips on their shoulder and are just frickin' weird (atleast the ones I have come across).

Most of the cool ones I vibed really well with are already in relationships and locked down and the pool that I'm stuck with are nothing I want to do with personally.

Looks like I gotta deal with being single and/or hopefully snagging a few of these nursing students while I can.

:(

Just because there's a goalie, doesn't mean you can't score...

(Kidding)

On the other hand, the nurses are always the better option. They at least have the free time to bring you food to the hospital. Conjugal visits in the call room are a pretty hot topic among most of them too. They're all freaks...

Just because there's a goalie, doesn't mean you can't score...

(Kidding)

On the other hand, the nurses are always the better option. They at least have the free time to bring you food to the hospital. Conjugal visits in the call room are a pretty hot topic among most of them too. They're all freaks...

hahaha hence why I wanted to wait until residency and slowly play the "knight in shining armor" role and let these current relationships go awry and come in for the swoop. :)

But yes.... some of these nurses out here...

WHEW.

Time will tell my man.

Time will tell.

hahaha hence why I wanted to wait until residency and slowly play the "knight in shining armor" role and let these current relationships go awry and come in for the swoop. :)

But yes.... some of these nurses out here...

WHEW.

Time will tell my man.

Time will tell.

cringe

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 11 users