Struggling With Reading Comp? Try this.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JLT223

DMD
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For one reason or another, the RC on the DAT often gives people trouble. The RC on the DAT is one of the most FAIR reading comprehension sections out of any graduate entry exam. With the following method anybody should be able to score at least a 20 on this section, even if you are TERRIBLE at reading. The method is simply mapping out the passage, combined with search and destroy when needed. None of this is novel, but I think too many people don't utilize mapping on paper when they should really try it out.

Given that you will read 3 passages and then answer ~16 questions per passage in under 60 minutes, that gives you 20 minutes per passage. You won't even need that much. Read the passage in 8 minutes and while reading create your map. When I say map, I mean write down a few keywords that define each paragraph AFTER you read the paragraph. On your scratch paper, you will write something that looks like this (to account for 16-17 paragraphs). Read through the entire passage in order.

Etc.....

Let's look at the following paragraph and make a map for it. It is an excerpt from a piece titled "Hacking An Enzyme's Structure Could Lead to Drugs For Alzheimer's and Schizophrenia" and is taken from Scientific American.

"Dopamine and norepinephrine play key roles in many brain functions such as learning, memory, movement and the fight-or-flight response. Imbalances in the levels of these neurotransmitters—and the role DBH plays in regulating them—have been implicated in a wide range of disorders, including hypertension, congestive heart failure, anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, Alzheimer’s, schizophrenia, Parkinson’s and even cocaine addiction."

My map would simply read----- 1. dopa/norep = brain fxns, DBH regulates them

Writing down these keywords takes literally 5 seconds and when you get lost after reading a question and can't find where the answer is, you can look at your map and immediately find the paragraph that mentions what you're looking for. It ultimately saves time instead of re-reading each passage. Writing down information about each paragraph actually also helps you retain what you read.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I agree the DAT RC is a cakewalk. Btw, good read....
I agree for some students the reading is a cakewalk but for some it is more like walking across fire! Again some versions are much more difficult than others and the search and destroy method does not always work. On some you will need to understand the passages and answer tone based questions related to the passage.

If English is a 2nd language or you are a slow reader it might be a great idea to work on speed and comprehension levels. I encourage students to take 30 minutes a day while studying for the DAT dedicated to just reading. You can read newspapers, books, magazines, etc. The goal is to pick up speed and comprehension levels, and the more you read the better you will become. By making a habit of reading each day, you will have a lot of hours before you test and will find it easier tackling the passages.

Hope this helps.

Nancy

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice strategy.
Reading scientific papers on a regular basis and trying to understand the contents helps a lot. By Scientific papers I don't mean the really complicated ones, anything that's less technical and under 10 paragraphs. My Bio professors suggested reading the scientific section on the new York times every Tuesday as a start.
Search and destroy also works for long boring passages.

Reactions: 1 user
Good afternoon Ms. Steen,

Thank you for reaching out to me, and giving me good tips on how to score higher on the DAT RC. I find the DAT RC relatively easy (from Crack the PAT) compared to the GRE RC, which my friend is currently studying. Believe me, I'm happy we do not have to deal with that level of reading comprehension and difficult vocabulary.

Also, I found the article mentioned by OP in the Scientific American interesting and a good read. I'm delighted on how scientist are able to make new medicines so people could lead functioning lifestyles, all from the discovery of the structure of an enzyme. I'll read SA daily to practice :)

I agree for some students the reading is a cakewalk but for some it is more like walking across fire! Again some versions are much more difficult than others and the search and destroy method does not always work. On some you will need to understand the passages and answer tone based questions related to the passage.

If English is a 2nd language or you are a slow reader it might be a great idea to work on speed and comprehension levels. I encourage students to take 30 minutes a day while studying for the DAT dedicated to just reading. You can read newspapers, books, magazines, etc. The goal is to pick up speed and comprehension levels, and the more you read the better you will become. By making a habit of reading each day, you will have a lot of hours before you test and will find it easier tackling the passages.

Hope this helps.

Nancy

Last edited:
So I can't do the vanilla method because by the time I get to the end of the passage, I've already forgotten the beginning.
S&D is no good for me because I lose context.

So my way was kind of weird, but it worked:
I read the first two paragraphs, then I went through every single question. Then I read the next two paragraphs and went through every single question and etc...
By the end of the passage you may have one or 2 questions left, but you have been through the passage and are familiar enough with it to answer them, because they are likely context/inference.

Maybe it's weird or all over the place, but it worked for me. Got a 26RC.

Reactions: 2 users
So I can't do the vanilla method because by the time I get to the end of the passage, I've already forgotten the beginning.
S&D is no good for me because I lose context.

So my way was kind of weird, but it worked:
I read the first two paragraphs, then I went through every single question. Then I read the next two paragraphs and went through every single question and etc...
By the end of the passage you may have one or 2 questions left, but you have been through the passage and are familiar enough with it to answer them, because they are likely context/inference.

Maybe it's weird or all over the place, but it worked for me. Got a 26RC.

Same, I would read the entire passage and forget what is going on. S&D, I would also lose context and have to keep rereading the entire passage to find the key word. I will try out your method and see how I do! thanks

Reactions: 1 user

Hope this helps.

Nancy

Very true, and great tips thanks.

Your method is beautiful except by the time I start writing notes, 20 minutes would pass, I am a slow writer as well :D
But I'll give it a go, I'll see how it works, maybe if I practiced one or 2 times. I'll be faster in writing the notes.

Nice strategy.
Reading scientific papers on a regular basis and trying to understand the contents helps a lot. By Scientific papers I don't mean the really complicated ones, anything that's less technical and under 10 paragraphs. My Bio professors suggested reading the scientific section on the new York times every Tuesday as a start.
Search and destroy also works for long boring passages.
is that so?
You mean they are easier than Scientific american articles, were they longer than the ones on bootcamp?