BOTH Struggling with Step 1 study schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dushash

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a B and C student mainly with some As here and there. It's tough for me when it comes to final week exams, but I never had to remediate an exam or repeat a course. I made my way slowly through 1st year and finished 1 semester of second year. I'm a bit below average in class rank, but that's ok with me, given I have 2 kids and a bunch of things to take care besides med.school. Don't get me wrong med.school is always #1 priority for me.
I was hanging in there until now. What is breaking my back is Step 1 study load that is now a new reality given we are in a winter semester already and before you know it Step 1 exam will be here. We already got material and info about registration for Step 1 etc. Pressure is on. I know I have to dedicate time for step 1 even if it means hurting my current grades. In my book Step 1 score means more than ratio of B to C grades in first 2 years of med.school

I'm thinking focusing to just FA + UWorld every day. Like maybe 10 pages of FA + 20 questions of UW. Unfortunately I can't tackle Kaplan and Pathoma and Sketchy and Osmosis and bunch of other things simultaneously. I'm just not that kind of guy who can do it all and still find time to participate in clubs and activities etc.

Do you think this minimalistic approach is a good idea in my situation?
Thank you all for answers and suggestions and encouragement!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I'm in the same boat now, trying to come up with a good study schedule. Were you ever able to get a response or some feedback?

I'm thinking focusing to just FA + UWorld every day. Like maybe 10 pages of FA + 20 questions of UW. Unfortunately I can't tackle Kaplan and Pathoma and Sketchy and Osmosis and bunch of other things simultaneously....
Do you think this minimalistic approach is a good idea in my situation?

Yes, that's what I would recommend to most people. Very smart approach. Too many people on here try to do too much. You'll be fine. Add in a few timed NBME exams.

What specialties are you considering?