1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Struggling

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by predental89, Aug 16, 2011.

1. predental89

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    with Gchem!!!!! I felt like I needed to let you all know :( is anyone else out there studying and stuck on gchem?? I used chads and I am still having the hardest time getting through destroyer gchem. please any help or just words of encouragement to motivate me!!!!! my test is in 2 weeks :eek:

thanks in advance

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dental2000

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hang in there...gChem aint that hard if you know your concepts

http://www.prep101.com/mcat/free-mcat-study-aids/

this is some extra gChem practice(its a bit hard but ull get to know what kind of questions you could expect on the DAT)

Look over Chads videos where ur finding difficultly on and redo his quizzes..

Good luck and hang in there

4. predental89

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thank you for the link! I will work through some of the problems and see if this helps :/

5. Dusk

Dusk Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Are you going through it for the first time? Don't worry, everyone feels that way the first time through. I felt the same way the first time through, the second time through it isn't too bad!!

6. predental89

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yea its my first time going through destroyer and so far this is what I am doing maybe you could give me some advice...

I am currently doing Ochem odyssey and doing well in it just reviewing each chapter twice not missing too many in it and people say its overkill so I shouldn't be worried if I complete that once?

In destroyer, this is my first time through and the gchem I'm doing crap.... -__- but Bio I'm doing sets of 37 each day and I am averaging about 21-23 out of 37 every time which i feel is pretty good. Last I am doing the math from destroyer and the separate math destroyer book at the same time and that isn't too bad for me.

I am also doing CDP and doing ok with that still working on it my last test i got an 18 ugh..

Any advice please help!!

7. Dental2000

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    OChem odyssey is major over-kill...Destroyer is enuff.

Do practice tests, Getting ur timing down is major factor and training yourself to sit through a whole test is imp.

I would suggest doing a CDP test everyday till test day( u can step it up to 2/day the closer u get to test date)

Tackle the word problems from Math and DAT destroyer, learning the tech is just as important as getting the timing down

For the rest just pray and Get a good nights sleep

8. predental89

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    what practice tests do you suggest? topscore? achiever? which of those are more like the real thing?

9. v35

v35
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I highly suggest going over the problems in DAT destroyer and the concepts in Chad's videos. I studied my notes from Chad's videos and just ran through the practice G-chem problems on Destroyer 3 times writing down all the key formulas for each problem on a separate piece of paper in list format. I studied the formulas that coincided with problems and eventually went through all the problems without having to look at my formula sheet. Achiever seemed so difficult and depressing but it did help motivate me to commit formulas and concepts to memory. I was scoring 15 on G Chem on Achiever and got a 22 on the real DAT.

10. predental89

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Its so depressing though the first time through because every other problem I have to keep looking at the solutions to figure out what to do or how to start the problem. Is it normal to do that or should I not look at the solutions? I just feel if I don't look at the sol. then I won't get anywhere because I will be stuck :confused:

11. v35

v35
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It's ok I did that too and thought I was cheating, but without having my notes out I had no idea where to start. The important thing is that afterwards, you go over every problem and see what the solution is. Achiever's solutions aren't that great so you can benefit from going through your Chad's notes, finding the solution and then working the problem out on your own until you're comfortable with working it out without looking at anything else. I went over the same practice test again after working out all the problems and memorizing the formulas needed.

12. predental89

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ok thank you all, I feel a little bit better! time to get back to it

13. SLYgUy2098

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I too was pretty stumped when I did Destroyer my first time for GChem and OChem, even after reviewing Chad's videos. I think I got about 50 wrong for GChem and 40 wrong for OChem. I felt pretty bad, but then I looked at the concepts I got wrong and went over those topics in Chad's videos again and reviewed my notes one more time. But I noticed that most of the problems I got wrong were towards the first 100 or so questions of each section. Once I started to get comfortable manipulating the formulas, or recalling different topics multiple times, then it started to "stick" in my head. So I guess from personal experience I can say that the second time around is definitely easier. The beauty of Destroyer is that it tests you on the same concept in so many ways that by the end of it, it makes you understand that concept inside and out...be it through reviewing of notes again or simply looking at the solution. Don't be discouraged by having to look things up...Destroyer is quite difficult. But once you get through it once and start it for the second time, you will feel more at ease. Keep going, you can do it!

14. predental89

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey man, Thank you so much that really helped and tomorrow I will try and tackle Gchem and see what happens!! have a good one take care

15. jbop

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    This was my experience:

Three weeks before today, I took a Kaplan blue book test and got a 15 on GC. A few days later, I took the free online test that came with the book and again got a similar score. Then I got the Destroyer and was getting more than half wrong with every 15-30 questions I was attempting at a time. This was a week before today.

Today I got a 25 on GC. I went from a 15 to 25 in a few weeks. It may seem like there's no time to improve, but there is. The Destroyer is so tough, but go through it and then go through it again. Then again. By that time, you'll be prepared. I hope this is encouragement for you...I would have loved to hear that it's possible to do very well. Don't be discouraged!

16. predental89

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    That much improvement in a week??? I hope for that, but thank you that def helps as far as motivation goes!! I appreciate all the positive feedback you guys are awesome :cool:

17. Ghostface17

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hey! I just got done with my DAT...I went through chads thoroughly, took detailed notes, made notecards, then tried the destroyer....and got DESTROYED. Did the GC destroyer a 2nd time around, STILL got destroyed (but not as much prob getting 18 q's right, 12 wrong) (I would do sets of 30). Went through about half-way the 3rd time before my exam this morning. I also did Topscore and scored ranging from a 16-18 (On the GC) on the test....went into the real DAT and scored a 20 (On GC). SO IT CAN BE DONE! Every mistake u make, just learn from it, memorize it, focus on why it is that way, and keep building up and you'll BEAST the exam

18. predental89

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So should I not worry too much if I am scoring around an 18 when I get topscore? I plan on taking a few topscore exams in the last week before my test. Also did taking those topscore tests help you? if so how much?? Thanks man!

19. penny49

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    you mean you got 40 wrong on 248 questions on organic chemistry?