Strugling with RC- What the hell is wrong with me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyingforever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I scored a 20 in my last attempt of real DAT. English is my second language but I am not that horrible

I took 3 CDR and I scored 14, 17, and 15.

Any advice please, how to study for this section. I am planning to do all ten CDR plus full practice DATs.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same problem with CDR. My score range was from 15-20. I have found a strategy of my own, but if possible, would also like to hear more from others to implement into my own strategies.

Actually I started a thread a little while ago with a bunch of different approaches. It's called 'Let's Brainstorm Reading Comp Strategies'. I would provide a link but I'm too lazy to look it up lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I scored a 20 in my last attempt of real DAT. English is my second language but I am not that horrible

I took 3 CDR and I scored 14, 17, and 15.

Any advice please, how to study for this section. I am planning to do all ten CDR plus full practice DATs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. Others have problem with it too :(

The quality of care in the United Soviet States of America (USSA) is not going to be going up in the future if communication between doctor and patient is that much more strained by language and culture barriers.

I do not think its reasonable for the english as a second language individuals to expect to score very well on RC (or any of the other M/C sections either because the test is really an effective test for word comprehension.). I wish it was even tougher from this perspective. Frankly, I think it is too easy.

I do not even think Engrish as a second languagers should be getting in, but that would assume high quality communication and culture is an integral important part of care and I know solidarity with one's indigenous culture is not exactly popular these days. Most people would rather trade their soul and heritage and birthright gifted by their forebearers for that big screen TV and the supposed super star career in an alien land and culture and language.:laugh:

Learning Chemistry was difficult enough, let alone from someone whose English was 3 years new and probably gleened from off of the internet. I had 1 professor of Biology who was a North American by birth my freshman year. The rest were non-native speakers and oh my god do not get me started on chemistry I didn't have even 1 who was native born or native english speaking.

Its actually foolish. Those who speak something other than english have plenty of their own kind that need their help---> in their original language and in their native countries. Plus, those who do the helping in their native languages and countries would be that much happier, content, and enjoy life as well.

I am not flaming, here (probably get hit with the old "intent to enflame" BS by the admin who religiously tries to enforce non-original thinking). This is my belief. I know it is unpopular in the same way that just about everything in this sick, twisted upside down so-called "modern" society that is reasonable and logical is maligned. Since I already know it is unpopular I don't need the political correctness police to try and get me back into the multicultural box with everyone else.

This individual has seen the Wizard of Oz behind the curtains and there is no putting a positive spin on how ugly the old shiester is without his knickers on!:laugh:

Be courageous. Be loyal. Be True. Be Be courageous. Be loyal. Be True. Be Be courageous. Be loyal. Be True. Be Be courageous. Be loyal. Be True. Be Be courageous. Be loyal. Be True. Be Be courageous. Be loyal. Be True. Be Be courageous. Be loyal. Be True. Be Be courageous. Be loyal. Be True. Be Smart. Own your soul. Oppose this multicultural madness imposed from above. Do not submit to trading in your soul for what the wizard behind the curtain tells you is more important than your soul.

The quality of care in the United Soviet States of America (USSA) is not going to be going up in the future if communication between doctor and patient is that much more strained by language and culture barriers.

I do not think its reasonable for the english as a second language individuals to expect to score very well on RC (or any of the other M/C sections either because the test is really an effective test for word comprehension.). I wish it was even tougher from this perspective. Frankly, I think it is too easy.

I do not even think Engrish as a second languagers should be getting in, but that would assume high quality communication and culture is an integral important part of care and I know solidarity with one's indigenous culture is not exactly popular these days. Most people would rather trade their soul and heritage and birthright gifted by their forebearers for that big screen TV and the supposed super star career in an alien land and culture and language.:laugh:

Learning Chemistry was difficult enough, let alone from someone whose English was 3 years new and probably gleened from off of the internet. I had 1 professor of Biology who was a North American by birth my freshman year. The rest were non-native speakers and oh my god do not get me started on chemistry I didn't have even 1 who was native born or native english speaking.

Its actually foolish. Those who speak something other than english have plenty of their own kind that need their help---> in their original language and in their native countries. Plus, those who do the helping in their native languages and countries would be that much happier, content, and enjoy life as well.

I am not flaming, here (probably get hit with the old "intent to enflame" BS by the admin who religiously tries to enforce non-original thinking). This is my belief. I know it is unpopular in the same way that just about everything in this sick, twisted upside down so-called "modern" society that is reasonable and logical is maligned. Since I already know it is unpopular I don't need the political correctness police to try and get me back into the multicultural box with everyone else.

This individual has seen the Wizard of Oz behind the curtains and there is no putting a positive spin on how ugly the old shiester is without his knickers on!:laugh:

The other perspective you're missing is there are a lot of minorities in this country who can't speak English well and can only communicate effectively in their native tongue. Thus they need doctors of their own kind. With that being said, some of these non native speakers are needed in the health professions so they can serve the minority groups who need them.

The other perspective you're missing is there are a lot of minorities in this country who can't speak English well and can only communicate effectively in their native tongue. Thus they need doctors of their own kind. With that being said, some of these non native speakers are needed in the profession so they can serve the minority groups who need them.

Reverse case for me, I can't communicate in my native language now. English is taking over my native language skills.

Perhaps it's not your intent to flame, but the response does not really answer the question asked so it will be seen that way. If you had posted in a thread where someone was complaining about why RC is even on the DAT would be appropriate. In this case, all he did was ask for advice on how to improve in RC.

Anyway for the original question, I've used Search and Destroy but I haven't taken the real DAT so I can't tell you how successful it is on the actual DAT. I've done 2 topscore tests and 4 of the CDR and have scored 22,24, 20, 25, 23, 24. You should try different strategies and see what works best for you. I disagree with S+D not working for inference questions. The only thing is you have to read carefully when you do the "destroy" part. The search still saves you time.

The other perspective you're missing is there are a lot of minorities in this country who can't speak English well and can only communicate effectively in their native tongue. Thus they need doctors of their own kind. With that being said, some of these non native speakers are needed in the health professions so they can serve the minority groups who need them.

Don't waste your time explaining the facts bro. Let's be real, it's called racism. Funny thing is a lot of people express their racism and call it their 'believes'.

Perhaps it's not your intent to flame, but the response does not really answer the question asked so it will be seen that way. If you had posted in a thread where someone was complaining about why RC is even on the DAT would be appropriate. In this case, all he did was ask for advice on how to improve in RC.

Anyway for the original question, I've used Search and Destroy but I haven't taken the real DAT so I can't tell you how successful it is on the actual DAT. I've done 2 topscore tests and 4 of the CDR and have scored 22,24, 20, 25, 23, 24. You should try different strategies and see what works best for you. I disagree with S+D not working for inference questions. The only thing is you have to read carefully when you do the "destroy" part. The search still saves you time.

What helps me the best when I do CDR is before going to any of the questions I completely engulf myself in reading the whole passage quickly while jotting 2-4 key words per paragraph. Also while im reading I try to imagine that me and the author are having a face to face conversation and I picture what his emotion is based on how he is describing things in the passage. I finish a 16 paragraph passage while jotting notes in about 8 minutes and when i get to the answers 30% of them I don't even go into the passage. Doing this I get 90% of my reference/tone questions correct. Plus I've been averaging around 22's on CDR (not too high but good enough). So try that, try to visualize that the author is telling you a story face to face and try to connect with him. In addition to you grasping the tone of his voice you will retain much more details.