Medical Stuck at Crossroads- How to choose between MD and PA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an undergraduate student, chemistry major at an all female institution. I came into undergrad thinking Pre-Med for sure but mental health started becoming an issue from 2nd year, when I was diagnosed with bipolar/anxiety. As a recent immigrant to the USA, I hadn't thought to take care of things like that but these past two years (I am currently a senior), I've been trying to re-evaluate my goals as it did begin to interfere with my studies. When I heard about the PA profession, after being a little scarred by the undergraduate academics, I thought perhaps that may a viable option as well due to the slightly less in-depth nature of the studies, although there is more prep to get into that graduate program. I can definitely chug and work hours to make it happen. Academics was never an issue for me until I got to my undergraduate institution, which is what has dropped my confidence a lot. But circumstances change. I used to think I am very pressed for time but now am willing to take it slow but would just like to make the right choice for a fulfilling life. My current plan is to take a gap year and get my EMT license this coming summer and work as an EMT until I apply and get into a graduate program.

For MD preparation, I have 1 semester of research in a biology lab, 3 semesters in an organic chemistry lab, and have been continuously working as a research assistant for an MD in her research on Healthcare Systems Management, all work I've really enjoyed. I have also worked 2 semesters as an organic chemistry lab TA, a paid position. I had some leadership positions in clubs, but they were for cultural orgs on campus. I had 300+ hours of volunteering in high school which I think won't count but gave me valuable experience, which is why I'm trying to work as an EMT before applying for anything. I've thankfully had the opportunity to shadow several MDs in different departments (OR, Derm, Radiology) I also had the opportunity to study abroad in Germany in a program geared towards pre-med students, which allowed us to shadow/work at a Hemodialysis clinic for a semester while taking a course on that specialty. I have also finished the required pre-med courses.

I took the MCAT without much studying last September due to complications with a research internship and mental health again and unfortunately got a 503 (C&P: 124/ CARS: 125/ Bio/Biochem: 125/ Psych/Soc: 129). I would definitely try to raise this if I go down the MD path. My issue is that my current GPA is a 3.29, and don't know if I can get into any MD or PA programs, and even if I did, whether or not I would make it through the 4 years of schooling + residency for MD. I guess I am unsure how hard the MD studies will be compared to what I am taking now.

To switch to PA, I would have to take 2 post-bacc classes, get patient care and shadowing hours, which means I would have to take a bit of a long gap? I think the main thing is that I have a fear of failing out of whatever graduate program I get into, so am unsure which direction to go. Will the MD coursework be too much for me, etc.

What kind of other things should I take into consideration? Is MD still a viable option for me? Would PA not be a good option for any reason? I'm not aiming for top 20 MD or such, just would like to know if I have a chance at completing the schoolwork and not failing out, and wonder what is the best way to use my time and whether I need to reframe my goals.

Thank you
For some additional information, I became a chemistry major because I took so many chemistry classes finishing the pre-med requirements, that I just went with it and I liked the research, but am not getting the best grades in science. I have more affinity towards english/psychology studies, and those types of classes were not hard to ace. Also I am more interested in medical/specific study areas, while I find it hard to motivate myself for the chemistry courses I've been having issues with like quantum mechanics etc. due to the nature of the information not really being related to the profession I am trying to go into? Also my parents were both english majors in Korea so I haven't had much familial insight into this professional choice in the USA.
Your stats are too lethal for MD, OK for DO.

As for PA, what does your heart tell you?

For MD, read this:

Members don't see this ad.

The other issue is that if your mental health issues are not controlled and breakthrough episodes are still recurrent, neither program is going to work out well. Medicine is a fairly intense long haul with very little sympathy toward life issues, and the PA is a very intensive but shorter period training where without some resilience, you will be left behind. Your circumstances for the MCAT are worrisome in not only the score, but the judgment in not knowing yourself when taking it (while you do not necessarily take exams from a perfect point of view, that is quite different than taking them from a very disadvantageous position).

Status
Not open for further replies.