stuck in a med sub-i; newly curious about peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bluebird79

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a funny situation. M3 right now and was interested in another specialty and have since decided that I was crazy to entertain it (ob). I am now very interested in family and the possibility of peds. The catch is that I already signed up for a medicine sub-i at my school, and we actually can't do both medicine and peds sub-is. In addition, there is a no-change policy. In order for me to explore peds more, would you recommend an elective peds month at my home hospital, a sub-i at another hospital, both?
Thanks!
 
In order for me to explore peds more, would you recommend an elective peds month at my home hospital, a sub-i at another hospital, both?

In general, it's a good idea to do away rotations in your field of interest, whether they be electives or additional sub-I types of rotations. I wouldn't say that a Peds sub-I is necessary, exactly, but it couldn't hurt (unless you did do exceptionally poorly). Really, you only need to do one sub-I, and it's a good rotation to get a letter from, but if you think you'll be better off with a Peds one, go for it.
 
I agree with the away rotation idea. It also serves to show you how things are done at other institutions. If you get to pick ER is always a good one to do. You see a lot of general peds along with some sick kids and you'll also get to see how the various consulting and subspecialist services are. ID is another good one that gets you around the hospital and lets you see a variety of things.