Stuck...please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwinifredr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first real post so I apologize if I fail to follow SDN etiquette somehow...

Anyway, I appplied for the 2007 cycle and as of now, have not received any interviews. Here's the lowdown:
Northwestern grad, BA in Bio/Poli Sci, GPA 3.35 (sucks I know, but strong upward trend)
MCAT: 8PS, 11BS, 11V, most recent 10PS, 11BS, 10V
Did independent research in a molecular bio lab at NU for one year
This year- Full time clinical research with UMaryland Shock-Trauma (tons of patient contact, should be able to get some publications,fingers crossed)
Applications complete around the third week in September, applied as IL resident to a wide variety of schools, including my state schools
Have yet to hear from 9 schools, on hold at Maryland and "re-review at Loyola"
Great recs

I know I'm not a stellar applicant and I want to do everything I can to make sure I get in the next round. D.O. is not an option for me, and time is of the essence. A couple of questions:

1.) Do you think the timing of my applications could have made a difference?
2.) I'm assuming you guys will point out the GPA, but here are my concerns. I don't have the money for an SMP program, and to be honest, I did okay in most of my science classes (except for one C...eek). Should I take classes over the summer? Should I do this at my local four-year in IL (my grant money runs out in June) or is CC acceptable? What kinds of classes would you suggest?
3.) Anything else I need to think about?
4.) Finally, my dream would be to attend Maryland. Unfortunately, I applied as an IL resident this year and am debating on what to do next year (and possibly stay in Maryland to find another job). However, I feel that IL residents are lucky in having so many great state-supported institutions while MD...not so many. Is it worth taking the gamble and changing residencies? The only other thing I have going for me here is that I know a lot of Shock-Trauma people, but I had one write me a recommendation (and she also interviews MD candidates for Maryland)...but it seems to have made no difference :(

Sorry this is such an exhaustive post, but I'm really stuck and could use any friendly advice you may have. Thanks so much guys!

Members don't see this ad.

You already seem to recognize this, but I'll say it anyway: the GPA is the red flag here. Raise it by taking undergrad level courses (preferably not at a CC). You don't need to do a master's program -- this won't affect your undergrad GPA anyway.

Also make sure your PS is top notch. Ask people you know that are good writers to look at it and to be merciless in their criticism.

Also, the earlier you get your applications in the better, of course.

what's your science GPA?
applying late definitely hurts. get them in quicker next time!

regarding both the SMP and your residency issues.. you're going to leave med school with loans either way. what's a few thousand more? if you want to do an SMP, take out a loan. it's a great way to get into medical school. if you want to go to school in MD, spend a little more and do it. you'll be able to afford paying those loans off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your helpful responses...what I'll probably end up doing is taking some credits at a local university in IL over the summer (the school I'm looking at ends summer term in late July) and volunteer/work part time as well. My science GPA is probably around a 3.25. Hope it works! :scared:

Thanks for your helpful responses...what I'll probably end up doing is taking some credits at a local university in IL over the summer (the school I'm looking at ends summer term in late July) and volunteer/work part time as well. My science GPA is probably around a 3.25. Hope it works! :scared: