Student Conduct Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdncbs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I really need some advice on how to handle this situation I put myself in. Any help or suggestions would be greatly welcomed because I really don't know what to do.

This is the background. I have been accepted into dental school starting fall 2014. At the time of my application, I had only one violation during undergrad for downloading music on campus internet which I ceased upon threat of losing internet privileges. I explained this in my application and it was never mentioned in any interview. I got accepted to dental school in early November.

Some time after my acceptance, I got blackout drunk (literally 12 hour window with no recollection) one night and was hospitalized. My last memory of the night before was being in a bar, the next was waking up in the hospital. I was released that morning. About a week later, I received an email concerning a student conduct violation on campus. At the meeting, I learned that I had made my way on to campus to residential housing and proceeded to cause a scene (knocking on doors, being loud, etc). At one point I became non-responsive and the RA called for an ambulance. The RA came in the ambulance to try to help figure out who I was and determine who should be contacted. I had to be strapped down because I was trying to get out of the ambulance and hospital bed once we arrived. At the hospital, the RA was still talking to me and trying to get my information at which point I threatened her (again, I don't remember any of this). The hospital staff asked if she wanted to press criminal charges, which she declined. She left immediately after that and I was sedated. I woke the next morning, clueless as to how I ended up at the hospital. The staff gave some information but I was still groggy.

After hearing about my behavior at the meeting a week later, I was shocked, remorseful and disgusted that I could be this person. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I sent the girl an apology letter through the student conduct officer. I have received counseling on the matter, which was determined to be an isolated incident brought on by unregulated alcohol abuse (drinking alone and celebratory). However, my counselor nor I feel like I have alcohol abuse tendencies (neither of my parents drink and its usually social for myself).

Anyway, I was charged with "Disorderly, disruptive, or antagonizing behavior that interferes with the general comfort, safety, security, health, or welfare of the residence hall community, and/or the regular operation of the University." It is unlikely the school will review my conduct record again considering I have already been accepted. However, I feel like I should make the school aware of the situation and that I am taking responsibility for my actions, but also I don't want to be kicked out of the program for something that is not truly representative of who I am. So, should I mention this occurrence to the school as a precautionary measure or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you going to be drunk at dental school?

As you know, you'll most likely get a lot of unsympathetic answers here. But, you aren't asking for our sympathy, just advice. I think you should make the school aware of the occurrence, and its resolution. I don't think it will get you kicked out. The school is making a substantial investment in you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if it would appear on your background check or not... But I believe you are required to notify the school of any misconduct within 5 days of the occurrence

The school i'm going to attend made send a school disciplinary form to be filled out by my undergrad as part of the acceptance packet. If you already did that, I don't see why you would necessarily have to report it since they will most likely never know. Then again, this can also end very badly if they decide to ask for another one later down the line. We all make mistakes.

Are you going to be drunk at dental school?

I think just about everyone at dental school gets drunk after a round of finals/midterms. All the dentists i've talked to told me their class went out a lot.

I think just about everyone at dental school gets drunk after a round of finals/midterms. All the dentists i've talked to told me their class went out a lot.
This is true...maybe less so if youre at a school like loma linda

I'm not sure if it would appear on your background check or not... But I believe you are required to notify the school of any misconduct within 5 days of the occurrence

Where are you getting that information from? OP, is this a criminal conviction?

I would ask someone like your academic adviser or another person at your university for help. A bunch of pre-dents on the internet are going to give you a lot of varied answers, usually with no evidence/knowledge to support them. Ask someone who can actually give you real guidance on how to handle the situation/how to tell the school properly or in the best way.

Reactions: 1 user
Call the dental school immediately and explain the situation.