Student Council

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jinxapotato

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Our school is electing for the first year student council and I would like to seek your opinion on the pro and con of being on one (especially on the impact for residency application)? Also, would extracurricular (volunteering and such) still be as important as pre-medical school in term of residency application? Or they will simply focus a lot more on your academic achievements (rotation grade/boards/class rank/research)? I understand all these are good things to get involved in but I can only spare a limited amount of time before the EC starting to eat up my grades...

Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

ECs? You're already in med school. Study.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ECs? You're already in med school. Study.
But how true is this really? If you send in an application with literally zero EC, won't that simply be thrown in the trash if a person with similar step scores has like 1 or 2 EC's?

But how true is this really? If you send in an application with literally zero EC, won't that simply be thrown in the trash if a person with similar step scores has like 1 or 2 EC's?
They'll look at your clinical grades, away rotation grades, and LORs before they do anything silly like what you described. Plus, who the hell has zero EC anyway? It's not that hard to volunteer for something for a couple hours in 4 years of school.

It is practically impossible to have zero EC in your dean's letter, since every school has an EC requirement (e.g. TCOM requires some clinical attendance at wellness fairs/geriatric visits/homeless clinics/sports medical tents; most students also participate in clubs and attend conferences).

Reactions: 1 users
It is practically impossible to have zero EC in your dean's letter, since every school has an EC requirement (e.g. TCOM requires some clinical attendance at wellness fairs/geriatric visits/homeless clinics/sports medical tents; most students also participate in clubs and attend conferences).
So if you're a member of a club and you participate in some events but are not an "officer," you can put that you were member of "xyz" on your CV and it's worth something?

So if you're a member of a club and you participate in some events but are not an "officer," you can put that you were member of "xyz" on your CV and it's worth something?

Yep. You want to fill that space with something (lest people think you spent all your free time on WoW/Candy Crush and FB).

People are much more likely to ask about your hobbies than about your ECs at residency interviews.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Yep. You want to fill that space with something (lest people think you spent all your free time on WoW/Candy Crush and FB).

People are much more likely to ask about your hobbies than about your ECs at residency interviews.

wait, you shouldn't spend your free time on WoW?! Lol, jk aside (well I do play game...), thank you for your feed back, very helpful!