Student Defamation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not buying this story for a second. Massive amount of students slut-shaming, girls drinking with professors, knife wielding at restaurants, psychotic people, etc. all at a professional school? Really, we're pretending this is real?

Actually, I'm not that surprised by this. Yeah, the OP's story sounds a a bit 'off' but there was an enormous amount of cliquishness at my school. The sluttiness/drinking with profs/massive hard partying/drugs definitely happened, and at least one person developed symptoms of what seemed like either psychosis or mania.

(And as for the assertion above that profs would never go out drinking with students - utter poppycock. I personally had beers with a couple profs and know of another clinical prof who would head out with students and get (too) flirty with the females, etc. Yup, it happens.)

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, I'm not that surprised by this. Yeah, the OP's story sounds a a bit 'off' but there was an enormous amount of cliquishness at my school. The sluttiness/drinking with profs/massive hard partying/drugs definitely happened, and at least one person developed symptoms of what seemed like either psychosis or mania.

(And as for the assertion above that profs would never go out drinking with students - utter poppycock. I personally had beers with a couple profs and know of another clinical prof who would head out with students and get (too) flirty with the females, etc. Yup, it happens.)
Sounds like you two went to the same place. I know at my school that stuff would never fly. People are definitely not massive hard partying or doing drugs here. That's just for veterinary students.

Sounds like you two went to the same place. I know at my school that stuff would never fly. People are definitely not massive hard partying or doing drugs here. That's just for veterinary students.

Yeah staff don't fraternize with us at my school either

Members don't see this ad :)

Lol you have been in school for what, a week now?

Lol you have been in school for what, a week now?
h6853719F

It seems like this is a troll but it made me curious about something. If you are a disabled vet from an injury during deployment and you apply to medical school, you still have to meet their technical standards right? Be able to talk, see this, lift this, hear that, and basically all the stuff required to work as a doctor taking H&Ps and so forth. Well let's say you have a BKA from an IED and you are officially disabled and on disability insurance. But let's say you can meet all standards while using a prosthetic and be just as efficient a doctor as a uninjured person. Does that make you then NOT disabled. Because if you are able to work as a doctor are you really "disabled" from your injury? Am I explaining this right...

Disability according to the VA and disability according to the federal government or who ever is not the same thing. Disabled in the VA means you left the service with injuries that were not there or were aggravated by your service. That can be just chronic pain, limited flexion, or be loss of function. Myself I have two bad knees, a limited flexion in a sprained wrist, and some bursitis in my shoulder. Nothing that keeps me from being in medical school or being a doctor, although surgery is probably not in my future as I have no interest in it and standing for that long is a bit tough on my knees.

Disability according to the VA and disability according to the federal government or who ever is not the same thing. Disabled in the VA means you left the service with injuries that were not there or were aggravated by your service. That can be just chronic pain, limited flexion, or be loss of function. Myself I have two bad knees, a limited flexion in a sprained wrist, and some bursitis in my shoulder. Nothing that keeps me from being in medical school or being a doctor, although surgery is probably not in my future as I have no interest in it and standing for that long is a bit tough on my knees.

Are you disabled according to the VA?

Yes, 40% disabled according to them. Like I said the definitions are not congruent with the definitions of the social security administration or common society.

Roger.

Yeah staff don't fraternize with us at my school either

Wait till clinical rotations. Staff says 'hey, you guys were a real great group and I enjoyed working with you all, how bout we have a beer tonight'. Real real common. Even more common in residency. Most of these occasions were staff hanging out with residents after a rotation and inviting the students along, but there were definitely some preclinical profs doing this too.

I don't consider this to be abnormal or even undesirable.

The hard partying, drug use and cliquishness was what I had a problem with, and even then it was more about certain groups just drinking waaaaay too much booze at get-togethers etc. Some people were definitely really into cannabis, however.

Wait till clinical rotations. Staff says 'hey, you guys were a real great group and I enjoyed working with you all, how bout we have a beer tonight'. Real real common. Even more common in residency. Most of these occasions were staff hanging out with residents after a rotation and inviting the students along, but there were definitely some preclinical profs doing this too.

I don't consider this to be abnormal or even undesirable.

The hard partying, drug use and cliquishness was what I had a problem with, and even then it was more about certain groups just drinking waaaaay too much booze at get-togethers etc. Some people were definitely really into cannabis, however.

I wouldn't fault staff at all for having a "team building" dinner/drink with the crew. I think that is a far cry from getting drunk with them, clubbing, or hitting on residents. I would occasionally take lunch with employees...but I didn't make it a habit. When you control someone's future, you owe it to them to not blur the line.

Reactions: 1 user
Alcohol abuse? Yep. Drug use? Yep. Crazy parties? Yep. High-school like cliques? Yep. Drinking with professors? Nope. Everyone plotting against an incident vet? Nope.

Med school is very high school-like...no denying that. I actually thought that it was less mature than college. But there are some pretty clear paranoia and/or delusions in the OP. Lots of med students like to let off steam with drugs and upper/downers is a HUGE deal...but the probability of finding a bunch of vet hating antisocial med students in one batch is HIGHLY unlikely.

So, things are getting kinda rough at my school. We lost a first-year student last year, following a psychotic break. The school handled it really well, but many students were worried about the possibility of an active-shooter event on campus. Nothing at all happened, but the rumor mill was fueled to the point of it's own insanity. Lies and gossip are being spread with gleeful malicious intent among the various campus cliques.

I've become fairly alienated after students and faculty learned of my status as a disabled veteran. I posted a photo of a mechanic's hammer labeled as a reflex hammer (in deference to my blue-collar family background), and was told that half my class assumed I was going to literally actually bring it to class and murder people. I overheard my girlfriend openly being called a "bi-polar wh0re" amongst some of the popular students. A student recently informed me that "soldiers are just cold-blooded murderers with a license to kill." A few like to make fellatio gestures in public, regarding a student's sexuality. There is open drug use, frequent public over-intoxication, students drinking with professors, etc. Basically, cliquey high-school-esque drama....
But, last week, I was falsely reported for being high on drugs during anatomy lab. By a professor and a GTA. I was told by the dean that I should look for alternative careers, in probability of expulsion or letter of reprimand. I've taken a voluntary drug test at a local clinic, and my blood is perfectly clean. I have a dozen witnesses from the lab claiming my innocence, and employer-mandated drug testing from earlier this summer showing no history of drug abuse. I have been accused in writing as having slurred speech, stumbling gate, glassy eyes and non-lucid behavior...yet I'd just finished a 3-hour spinal cord dissection nearly single-handedly, while having pleasant conversations with lab partners (I even showed them a intermediolateral column cross-section...pretty cool).

I've spoken with several deans and the president of the school, and still await their action. The school counselor is apologetic to the point of tears. Student Services is non-committal and un-interested. So, counter-claims have been filed, and witness statements are being written on my behalf. I am gathering quotes for legal defense, to seek a slander/harassment/defamation lawsuit.

I'm interested in learning how institutions can actually stop the process of active, ongoing rumor-mongering. It seems to be one of those "en masse" problems, where you can't really stop a bunch of people whispering. "You can't punish all of us"...etc. Is there anything I can do, as a victim? Should I even try? I've been warned not to rock the boat, lest I face expulsion.

Hi I am curious how all of this got resolved. Did you go the legal route?