Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

student hosts (nymc)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ironhill, Feb 22, 2007.

1. ironhill

ironhill Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    im interviewing at nymc and am thinking about staying with a student host... have any of you done this? how did you go about choosing your host from the list? did you have a good experience? is it something you recommend?

2. alwaysaangel

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I tried ones from my school first - they didn't respond. Then I tried ones from other Cali schools. (all my same gender).

But I would do it soon, I had 3 people not answer me at all and 1 person say no before I got a yes, so it takes a while.

But yeah it was fine, she was actually studying and I didn't want to bother her - so I just parked, came in, went to sleep, got up and showered, asked a few questions about the school in the morning, and then left. Saved myself the hotel money though.

I know some people hung out with their hosts and got to ask questions about the school. If you really want this aspect you should aim for a 2nd year to stay with.

3. sixela1414

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I second the emailing them early. I emailed one girl a month and a half before my scheduled interview and it took her 2-3 weeks to respond... she said no. I emailed another girl and it took her 2 weeks to respond... she said yes, but she wasn't going to be back to her apartment until around midnight (which was a little late for me). By that point, it was too late to ask anyone else, so i booked a hotel. However, I ended up getting into a school I'd rather go to a few days before the interview, so I just ended up cancelling!

I chose the two girls because they were both from NJ (like me).

So, yeah... do it early and try a few people at once instead of waiting for one to respond before you contact another (like I did).

Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gotmeds?

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My student host was great. He picked me up from the train station (so I didn't even need to rent a car) and since he lived on campus, it was a short walk to the admissions office the next day. I picked my host because he went to school in my hometown, but picking someone at random works just as well.

5. Anjlprincezz

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i just started picking CA girls, but after i got no response from like 4 first years i decided to just start e-mailing all the girls.. i interviewed during exam time, but my student host and her roomates took me to campus, showed me around, and gave me loads of invaluable advice :) i recommend the student hosts...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Wanna_B_Scutty

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yup, start asking early... but don't be afraid to ask people of the opposite gender, too. I have stayed with 2 guys so far (I'm a girl) and it wasn't weird at all. I mean, they know you' re out there to interview as opposed to looking for a cross-country booty call. :cool:

7. tangledupinblue

5+ Year Member

I've stayed with student hosts at most of my interviews. I definitely recommend it for NYMC because you'll get to see the on campus housing that you would most likely be living in for the 1st 2 years, if you end up there. It's also nice to be walking distance from where you will interview. Same as the above people mentioned, email early and email lots of people. I'm a female and have stayed with 2 guys and it wasn't weird.

8. thedelicatessen

thedelicatessen In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I also chose my host based on similar schools/hometowns, but I don't think it really makes a big difference where your host is from. It is definitely convenient staying with a student in their on-campus housing since the admissions office is a very short walk from there. When I went to interview, my host was studying for exams, but it was still a nice experience to have some downtime too. Good luck!