student hosts (nymc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ironhill

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
im interviewing at nymc and am thinking about staying with a student host... have any of you done this? how did you go about choosing your host from the list? did you have a good experience? is it something you recommend?

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
im interviewing at nymc and am thinking about staying with a student host... have any of you done this? how did you go about choosing your host from the list? did you have a good experience? is it something you recommend?

I tried ones from my school first - they didn't respond. Then I tried ones from other Cali schools. (all my same gender).

But I would do it soon, I had 3 people not answer me at all and 1 person say no before I got a yes, so it takes a while.

But yeah it was fine, she was actually studying and I didn't want to bother her - so I just parked, came in, went to sleep, got up and showered, asked a few questions about the school in the morning, and then left. Saved myself the hotel money though.

I know some people hung out with their hosts and got to ask questions about the school. If you really want this aspect you should aim for a 2nd year to stay with.

sixela1414

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I second the emailing them early. I emailed one girl a month and a half before my scheduled interview and it took her 2-3 weeks to respond... she said no. I emailed another girl and it took her 2 weeks to respond... she said yes, but she wasn't going to be back to her apartment until around midnight (which was a little late for me). By that point, it was too late to ask anyone else, so i booked a hotel. However, I ended up getting into a school I'd rather go to a few days before the interview, so I just ended up cancelling!

I chose the two girls because they were both from NJ (like me).

So, yeah... do it early and try a few people at once instead of waiting for one to respond before you contact another (like I did).

Good luck!

gotmeds?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My student host was great. He picked me up from the train station (so I didn't even need to rent a car) and since he lived on campus, it was a short walk to the admissions office the next day. I picked my host because he went to school in my hometown, but picking someone at random works just as well.

Anjlprincezz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just started picking CA girls, but after i got no response from like 4 first years i decided to just start e-mailing all the girls.. i interviewed during exam time, but my student host and her roomates took me to campus, showed me around, and gave me loads of invaluable advice :) i recommend the student hosts...

Wanna_B_Scutty

MS1
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yup, start asking early... but don't be afraid to ask people of the opposite gender, too. I have stayed with 2 guys so far (I'm a girl) and it wasn't weird at all. I mean, they know you' re out there to interview as opposed to looking for a cross-country booty call. :cool:

tangledupinblue

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've stayed with student hosts at most of my interviews. I definitely recommend it for NYMC because you'll get to see the on campus housing that you would most likely be living in for the 1st 2 years, if you end up there. It's also nice to be walking distance from where you will interview. Same as the above people mentioned, email early and email lots of people. I'm a female and have stayed with 2 guys and it wasn't weird.

thedelicatessen

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I also chose my host based on similar schools/hometowns, but I don't think it really makes a big difference where your host is from. It is definitely convenient staying with a student in their on-campus housing since the admissions office is a very short walk from there. When I went to interview, my host was studying for exams, but it was still a nice experience to have some downtime too. Good luck!