Student loan pay off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterk4491

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long did it take you and how much did you pay in student loans? I'm looking for a little motivation in paying it off as quickly as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my motivation: with the way the job market is going, I need to pay off my loans before I lose my job.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Started 1/1/16 179k
As of 7/30/17 90k

I'm with the pay off asap group. But thats mainly because I work absurd amount of OT. If I made under 160k I might pay them off slower and save but i'm trying take advantage before my market gets saturated.

Reactions: 5 users
Started 1/1/16 179k
As of 7/30/17 90k

I'm with the pay off asap group. But thats mainly because I work absurd amount of OT. If I made under 160k I might pay them off slower and save but i'm trying take advantage before my market gets saturated.
This is smart. I worked no overtime. But I'd recommend doing any overtime if it's available!

Reactions: 1 user
$190. Started payments in April 2013. Paid off last week.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 6 users
No loans state school, work scholarship parents

Flyover,Usa

Graduated 2015 with ~225k. Currently ~127k. Slowed down on payments for now while I max out 401k and some stock market investing. Still paying $1500 monthly.

Reactions: 4 users
$153k refinanced with SoFi. Paying $3,800 monthly. Will pay off by next Presidential Election (November 2020)

Reactions: 4 users
~70 k, 1.5 years (made last payment two weeks ago)

Reactions: 2 users
i graduated with over 180 k in 2010. Have 47 k left . Will pay it off in 1 and 1/2 years. Will send over 3 k every month begining next month...

Reactions: 1 users
Dec. 2015: 165k
Nov. 2017: 89k

I'll have my loans paid off within the next 2 years, maybe sooner if I decide to cash out my investments.

$153k refinanced with SoFi. Paying $3,800 monthly. Will pay off by next Presidential Election (November 2020)

May I know more about SoFI and refinancing. I have heard about them, but that is about it.
Not a lotta information about them that I know off. Can u enlighten me? U can PM me if you want:)

May I know more about SoFI and refinancing. I have heard about them, but that is about it.
Not a lotta information about them that I know off. Can u enlighten me? U can PM me if you want:)

Very easy to refinance with them. Don't have to even talk on the phone. Everything done through text/email. Just upload all required documents and process takes no more than 2 weeks to complete. Make sure your credit score is at least 700 though. They don't charge any financing cost. This is a no brainer in my opinion. Cut my interest from 6.8 to 4.25%. Disclaimer: only do this if you're committed to paying off your student loan quickly. You will loose a lot of repayment flexibility because now you owe to a private bank and not government. Can't randomly adjust your monthly payments anymore. My goal is to payoff in 3 years ($153k), so refinancing is a no-brainer. In case of unemployment, they will allow you to defer for at least 1 year.

Reactions: 1 users