Student Loan Repayment Calculations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worknhard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to create a spreadsheet that would show me the monthly payments for each of my Fed Loan repayment options. I want to see the impact of making extra payments or having my income change (for the income dependent loans) The standard and extended fixed repayment schedules are easy to program in excel. I can't find the calculations though that support the graduated, pay as you earn, and IBR options. The studentloan.gov calculator just gives you a single payment or range of payments so its hard to figure how it will change. I contacted them but they "do not provide that information".

Has anyone seen a spreadsheet that gives the whole payout for the various options or have any suggestions about the calculation?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

The bankrate calculator only works for a standard or extended fixed rate loan. Those are easy to setup in Excel. What I'm looking for is the more complicated calculations for graduated, pay as you earn, IBR, and ICR. These change payments during the payoff period and some are tied to your income.

Anyone know how to do those calculations?

There are "advisor services" that will do calculations for you but I'd rather not pay the 400$+ fee. Anyone have experience with them?

Last edited: