Student loans and Bankruptcy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedSoxSuck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

My sister declared chapter 7 bankruptcy few months ago and her previous student loans were wiped out. According to her, she was told that if she were to apply for additional student (federal, private or even parent grad plus) loans then she would have to repay her wiped out student loans. She has been accepted into a PhD program along with a law school. However, she is curious about options regarding loans. I suggested she should speak to some high ranking financial aid representative from her school because they can provide most recent and accurate information.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I don't think its relevant but since this is SDN, you never know. I have my own student loans from medical school and from undergrad, postbacc (waste) and MPH, and MHA degree. I just started residency so i got nothing.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey gang,

My sister declared chapter 7 bankruptcy few months ago and her previous student loans were wiped out. According to her, she was told that if she were to apply for additional student (federal, private or even parent grad plus) loans then she would have to repay her wiped out student loans. She has been accepted into a PhD program along with a law school. However, she is curious about options regarding loans. I suggested she should speak to some high ranking financial aid representative from her school because they can provide most recent and accurate information.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I don't think its relevant but since this is SDN, you never know. I have my own student loans from medical school and from undergrad, postbacc (waste) and MPH, and MHA degree. I just started residency so i got nothing.
It's unlikely a private company will touch her since this was recent, and they really shouldn't if they are good at math. Those loans would have been private or they wouldn't have been discharged

For federal loans? No idea how they treat a recent bankruptcy. She almost certainly won't get any grad plus so she'll need a great cosigner or have a plan to feed herself