student loans and income taxes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ronald Kris

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If someone takes out the full 4 years to do med school (60k for 4 years over 25 years, which at a 10% interest rate is roughly 2200/month), can he take the total yearly expense off his federal and state income tax? I'm seriously considering switching potential careers, and if I try premed and manage to take it somewhere, I face being on my own financially. Too many mulligans for family to handle if this has to happen.

While over 20k effective salary cut is a lot, if I were to get into med school and finish, the security and pay is more than I might have on my current path anyway, so financially it could be worth it despite that. I just want a sense of how things like this would work.
 
There's the higher education tax credit, but you have to be making enough money to actually need to pay taxes to benefit (i.e., you're spouse would need to be working because you won't be working much/at all while in medical school).

But you may benefit the first year (since you'd possibly be working January through ~August, which is when many students start medical school) and your final year (since you'd work July-Dec of intern year--but to qualify for this you HAVE to be charged/pay for tuition in January, not December, and that's really up to the school).
 
Last time I had enough to itemize deductions, the max deduction was $2500 for interest on student loans.

There are precious few scenarios where a career change into medicine makes you money in the long term. Keep in mind that every fresh med student assumes they'll be in the top 5% of their class, match derm/plastics/etc, and practice past 65. Nope.

Best of luck to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last time I had enough to itemize deductions, the max deduction was $2500 for interest on student loans.

There are precious few scenarios where a career change into medicine makes you money in the long term. Keep in mind that every fresh med student assumes they'll be in the top 5% of their class, match derm/plastics/etc, and practice past 65. Nope.

Best of luck to you.

When it comes to student loan interest, you don't have to itemize to get the student loan interest deduction (but yes, $2500 is still the max). It doesn't actually save you a whole lot when you file (I think it saved me ~$400 last year, maybe? So basically I spend $2100 on interest and the government pitched in $400). And it gets phased out at higher incomes, so it only helps while you're a resident.

But I definitely agree about the career change =/= guarantee more money. The OP needs to take into account the 4 years of medical school where A) you make no money, and B) you borrow an insane amount, as well as the low salary of 3-7 years of residency. That's a lot of lost earning potential time. There are definitely far smarter ways to make money.

Now, if helping people and medical science is something the OP loves, then it makes sense. The job stability/security certainly is nice, but in my opinion, not worth it if you don't love it.
 
When it comes to student loan interest, you don't have to itemize to get the student loan interest deduction (but yes, $2500 is still the max). It doesn't actually save you a whole lot when you file (I think it saved me ~$400 last year, maybe? So basically I spend $2100 on interest and the government pitched in $400). And it gets phased out at higher incomes, so it only helps while you're a resident.

But I definitely agree about the career change =/= guarantee more money. The OP needs to take into account the 4 years of medical school where A) you make no money, and B) you borrow an insane amount, as well as the low salary of 3-7 years of residency. That's a lot of lost earning potential time. There are definitely far smarter ways to make money.

Now, if helping people and medical science is something the OP loves, then it makes sense. The job stability/security certainly is nice, but in my opinion, not worth it if you don't love it.
Prob is that it seems in business, or well, the parts of business where you make any money/have a career path, HR seems to only care if you were an NCAA athlete, if you got everything in life right the first time (ie having good internships in college) and are unforgiving if you didn't have a traditional start UNLESS you go to HYP. They also do care if you're tall/good looking if you're a dude. Women in business, stereotypically bossy types, take their hatred of men out on guys who are short/average looking. IE I'm not getting hired except probably another chop shop. Hell, firms even want GMAT scores. Not to mention how much being friends with the right people and having the right connections matter, which is a lot more than getting into med school. At least med schools accept people who didn't have the traditional path more than business. A lot more people start MD schools at 27 and older than start in IBD/PE, except M7 MBA guys.

So for me, even looking at 2500/month in a loan, at a 65k/yr residency, I still come out better than in most of the business (Ops, sales) spots I might be able to ever get, not to mention many residency programs subsidize housing, etc. Additionally, I have an inheritance coming in like 10 years that can cover most of the loan anyway.
 
Last edited:
Prob is that it seems in business, or well, the parts of business where you make any money/have a career path, HR seems to only care if you were an NCAA athlete, if you got everything in life right the first time (ie having good internships in college) and are unforgiving if you didn't have a traditional start UNLESS you go to HYP. They also do care if you're tall/good looking if you're a dude. Women in business, stereotypically bossy types, take their hatred of men out on guys who are short/average looking. IE I'm not getting hired except probably another chop shop. Hell, firms even want GMAT scores. Not to mention how much being friends with the right people and having the right connections matter, which is a lot more than getting into med school. At least med schools accept people who didn't have the traditional path more than business. A lot more people start MD schools at 27 and older than start in IBD/PE, except M7 MBA guys.

So for me, even looking at 2500/month in a loan, at a 65k/yr residency, I still come out better than in most of the business (Ops, sales) spots I might be able to ever get, not to mention many residency programs subsidize housing, etc. Additionally, I have an inheritance coming in like 10 years that can cover most of the loan anyway.

Hmm... that's different from the experiences of those I know that went into business had (and they want to Haas and other well-known programs). Generally their experience was it was really cut-throat and you just had to really competitive and eat everyone else alive and come out on top. I never heard about looks really factoring in... Or the women in business hating on certain men. Certainly the networking thing matters--that's half of getting a job in any field (helps for getting into medical school, residency, and beyond...). But obviously what you're experiencing is what you're experiencing.

Still--going into medicine because you're unhappy with your current job isn't necessarily the smartest thing to do. Is there anything else that interests you? Because medicine is a huge commitment, and you should really only go into it if you see it as your vocation. It has a high burn-out rate and way too many physicians regret their decision, and the ones that don't are generally the ones that see it as their calling. Certainly not always, but in my short amount of experience those are the happiest physicians--not the ones who make $500k and know they are set for life. Ironically, it usually seems like the lower-paid physicians are the happiest (probably selection bias--they chose the field they love rather than the field with prestige/money, but interesting nonetheless. Probably explains why geriatricians are the happiest/most-content specialists)

Also--very few residency programs pay $65k in residency. Most start around $50-55k, depending on where in the country you are. My intern salary was closer to $47k, but in a low cost-of living area. $65k is what you might make in NYC or SF (and that's usually with your housing stipend, which some of those big-city programs offer), and after ~25% of that salary goes to taxes, often almost 50% of what you have left over goes to rent in those cities. Most residency programs also do not offer subsidized housing, though some do. I only interviewed at one program that offered subsidized housing, though there was a 1-year waitlist. I did avoid NYC like the plague though...

I'd encourage you to think about things carefully--are you thinking about medicine because you're just unhappy with your job and the grass looks greener or is this truly something you want to do with your life. The career-changers are people that are among the most-dedicated to become physicians because generally they are sacrificing more than anyone else (they often have families, and will often be financially worse-off or no better off overall). They usually decide to become physicians because it's in their blood--and while I'm sure there are some out there, I've never met one that said they made the change for financial reasons (I have heard job stability as a reason--usually I hear that one from people that have kids, and want to make sure they can provide for their family, and they usually have a working spouse and/or family support to help them through medical school)

Medicine is a wonderful field, but like teaching and the priesthood, I think it should be viewed as a vocation/life-long commitment. If you don't, you will probably regret all the things you sacrificed. If you look at it as a vocation, you'll probably be very proud of what you accomplished with your life on your deathbed, and you really won't see any of those sacrifices as significant--you'll just see them as part of what it takes to become who you're meant to be.