student loans?

Fritz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2003
    Hi everyone,

I have a small financial problem and I wondered if you could advise me. I don't have any debt, but I married one, a really large one. My spouse has not had a job ( in his field) for about 2 years now. He's been working minimum wage jobs as he could find them. My salary was enough to cover everything, but now that I am starting school my salary would disapear. Where I chose to go to MSTP, there is really nothing that he can do in his field, so he'll end up probably working a minimum wage job, which barely covers his debt payment. I was thinking of getting a job during my school years, since with my degree and my working experience I can get something really easily. Do you think that it is possible to go to school and work full time?
    Is there any way to get a school loan to make up for the difference so that I don't have to work?
    Any suggestions would be highly appreaciated.
    Thanks,
    Fritz.

About the Ads

noy

Senioritis Member
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jan 7, 2003
    East Coast
      Do you think they would allow a few hours a week of tutoring/teaching? This seems to be do-able by many med students, and it can pay very well...

Anyone heard of MSTP's doing something on the side for a few hours a week?

To Fritz: I would not think doing anything more than 4-5 hours a week is possible - otherwise your studies may be very affected...

Habari

10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Feb 20, 2003
        you technically are not supposed to - but if it isn't anything big, they usually don't say anything. i know an upperclassman who tutors in the neighborhood with impunity.

vixey1230

10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Sep 18, 2003
        1. MD/PhD Student
          And on top of the 8500/yr subsidized stafford, there's also the unsubsidized stafford. i think the annual maximum is something in the order of 10,000, and there is interest accruing on these loans right away, but it's still an option.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.