student loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fritz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a small financial problem and I wondered if you could advise me. I don't have any debt, but I married one, a really large one. My spouse has not had a job ( in his field) for about 2 years now. He's been working minimum wage jobs as he could find them. My salary was enough to cover everything, but now that I am starting school my salary would disapear. Where I chose to go to MSTP, there is really nothing that he can do in his field, so he'll end up probably working a minimum wage job, which barely covers his debt payment. I was thinking of getting a job during my school years, since with my degree and my working experience I can get something really easily. Do you think that it is possible to go to school and work full time?
Is there any way to get a school loan to make up for the difference so that I don't have to work?
Any suggestions would be highly appreaciated.
Thanks,
Fritz.

Members don't see this ad.

People in the other thread were talking about the $8500/year Stafford loan. I haven't gone through this, but would it be possible to use that to help cover your spouse's payments?

I don't know the answer, but someone else might.

it might be program specific, but our program (Tri I) specifically prohibits MSTP students from having a job while in the program.
i guess baby sitting might be ok :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think they would allow a few hours a week of tutoring/teaching? This seems to be do-able by many med students, and it can pay very well...

Anyone heard of MSTP's doing something on the side for a few hours a week?

To Fritz: I would not think doing anything more than 4-5 hours a week is possible - otherwise your studies may be very affected...

you technically are not supposed to - but if it isn't anything big, they usually don't say anything. i know an upperclassman who tutors in the neighborhood with impunity.

And on top of the 8500/yr subsidized stafford, there's also the unsubsidized stafford. i think the annual maximum is something in the order of 10,000, and there is interest accruing on these loans right away, but it's still an option.