student research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fakin' the funk

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if any of the docs or students on this board did any research during med school. I'm asking because my school requires a research block of 4 months during 3rd year, and I'd love to do some clinically relevant research (e.g. a small RCT to answer a small question).

Trouble is, at my school there is no precedent for this type of med-student directed anesthesiology research, and of course I'm wondering about problems with IRB, finding the right advisor, getting it done in time, etc. Any words of advice or experience? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow - 4 months in third year for research. How do you get all the other rotations in? I felt like many of my rotations were short as it is, I can't imagine having to fit 4 months of research in too.

What kind of guidance do they give for those four months? That is longer than most schools highly structured medicine and surgery rotations. With all the info they squeeze into med school, it seems odd that during third year they would require 4 months with little guidance. Any more details please.

Members don't see this ad :)
Surely (Shirley?) you have someone helping to direct your research! Just getting a proposal through an IRB can take months. Is that what you mean by having 4 months?

Sorry for the lack of clarity in my original post...

The 4 months that this research is done in comes out of 2nd year - i.e., we take Step 1 in March of Year 2 instead of July. The 2 16-week core clerkships remain intact. And, assuming you need IRB approval for your individual project (not just riding another project's IRB coattails), that should be all done before the start date of said 4 months.

The ideal process for this research project is: 1) find an advisor, 2) discuss possible topics, 3) do the lit. search to develop the protocol so that it answers the research question, 4) execute the project during the 4 months, 5) write the project into an "MD thesis" either during the 4 month block or in a 1-month 4th-year research elective if necessary. My school has a research advisor for all the med students - so the student would rely on the guidance of this advisor and the (hopefully interested) faculty member who's sponsoring the work.

Tricky part is, it's tough to complete a meaningful clinical research project in 4 months. I think it can be done (I don't doubt that a "chart-review" type of project could be done in that time), and I was hoping someone on this board might have some experience they could send my way!

First, you need to thing about what you want to know- a question that you have. (And, you should be able to wright the question in one sentence- trickier than it sounds) While tacking something on to someone else's project is always possible, and can help things move along, your lack of interest will slow you down. Are you interested in any particular field? Is there someone you work well with? Start talking with different people about research interests, because it can take a while to make a good match. Unless you are truely interested, try to avoid having the attending hand you a research project.

Now it is time to do the literature search. Talk with your librarian. Often they can do extensive searches for you- which will save you lots of time. Librarians are also very good about ferriting out papers less experienced searchers will miss. Nothing worse than presenting your project only to be asked- "didn't you read so-and-so's paper on . . . which directly answered this question?"

This is also the time to modify your question. Do you want to look at a specific population? Different disease process? You also have to figure out how you are going to answer your question. Retrospective or prospective? Survey or controlled trial? Observational? How many subjects will you need? Your research coordinator should be able to help you with power calculations. How will you get informed consent? Do you need informed consent? If you are doing a trial, how will you randomize? What will be the placebo or control arm? If you are doing a survey, do you have an appropriate tool? If not, you will need to develop one and test it out. This part sounds overwhelming, and it can be. Your research guide will help you with all of this.

Next, anything that needs IRB approval must have any changes in protocol, additional studies, etc, MUST have another IRB approval! This committee can be the bane of your existance. The committee is supposed to watch out for the welfare of your subjects. Often times, it turns out to be a way for people to fullfill their research desires vicariously. Even a chart review project will require an IRB approval, because you are gaining access to confidential material. Heaven help you if you are doing something that involves more than one institution!

Chart reviews usually go fairly quickly. They often don't need informed consent, but will require IRB approval. Surveys often go quickly as well, but you have to be careful about the instrument as you can quickly end up with garbage if it isn't done and tested correctly. Resident fatigue is very invogue right now, and would easily lend itself to a survey or observational study. Clinical trials can be done, but will likely take more time than you have. A faculty member I know did a study on patient health education and diabetes- having the patients sit at a computer to go through some questions such as what was your last HbA1C, etc., and then prompting them to ask their resident about labs, etc. You could also do some very interesting economic clinical studies in a short period of time.

Research can be very interesting and rewarding intellectually. I knew a couple of students who were sent to national meetings with expenses paid to present their research. There are monetary prizes occasionally. I'm sorry for this being soooo long, but I really like research. I hope this helps you some.

First off, I am glad that it is not me biting the bullet and having to do forced research before I even start my clinicals, but this sounds pretty cool. It also has the potential to be pretty painful.

Hopefully you have a lot of help with many of the specifics that Annette brought up. If this project goes the way your school apparently envisions it, it will be a nice nugget in your app.

There are two types of research that finds it way onto students residency applications.

1. Fluff that means little more to the program than just a guage of your interest. It is still good to have because it sort of echo's your PS that says you have ALWAYS had this interest in anesthesia.

2. An actual research project that shows you have the potential to do more of the same during residency. This is obviously not a make or break thing, and I would echo the sentiments that this is overkill if all you want is to get a spot. However, it is very attractive to programs that have the added nugget that an already good candidate also has the track record to show that he/she may do some meaningful research while in residency.

Sounds like a good idea in theory. I hope it turns out to be as useful as it could. Take advantage of the 'free time' to develop the basics of research. Going through the motions during your time in med school will put you ahead of the curve if you decide to work on a project during your "absolutely no free time" during residency.

Research in Anesthesiology is a little overrated. Sure it helps but it will only come into play if you can discuss it during your interview.

Also, if you overplay your hand by emphasizing research on your personal statement you could even scare 3rd and 4th tier Gas programs that have little research opportunities.

Keep in mind, research is a double edged sword. It can help for the top twenty programs however if you are applying to the "average" programs or even community based programs it could potentially hurt your cause.

P53 is right. However. a good QI can be interesting and helpful. Every hospital can use good QI's.

The National Health Service (UK) decided to save money by not using etOH wipes prior to drawing blood. The evidence for the saftey of this came from a nursing research study looking at infection rates in diabetic patients who either swabbed or did not swab prior to injecting insulin. (Certainly not the best of evidence, but it was a short, simple study, and SAVED $$$$$ for the NHS. Every hospital would like to cut costs or increase revenue anyway they can.