Student satisfaction ratings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lanced

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where can I find student satisfaction ratings by medical school? I was pointed to http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/ which is great but lacks an adequate sample size.

I bought the US News & World book along with Petersons's Insider Guide and the MSAR but none have any information about how happy students are, quality of life at that school, etc. I know a ton of this information exists for the undergraduate institutions, I'm shocked that I can't find any for the medical schools.

Any help appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

good question... i would like to know too

peer bumpage!

LanceDowning said:
Where can I find student satisfaction ratings by medical school? I was pointed to http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/ which is great but lacks an adequate sample size.

I bought the US News & World book along with Petersons's Insider Guide and the MSAR but none have any information about how happy students are, quality of life at that school, etc. I know a ton of this information exists for the undergraduate institutions, I'm shocked that I can't find any for the medical schools.

Any help appreciated!

Me too! I seem to recall running across something a long time ago and only remember there was one school they were all saying "don't ever go here" and how terrible it was for them (Begins w/an M, its in Georgia I think...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Orthodoc40 said:
Me too! I seem to recall running across something a long time ago and only remember there was one school they were all saying "don't ever go here" and how terrible it was for them (Begins w/an M, its in Georgia I think...)

well that elimates Emory from the other 3 med schools in Georgia that start with an M. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

quantummechanic said:
well that elimates Emory from the other 3 med schools in Georgia that start with an M. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL!! Whoops - well since I had no intention of applying to schools there, I didn't really keep it in my mind, but looking at the list, I'm pretty sure it would be Mercer. Its NOT Medical College of Georgia...!!

LanceDowning said:
...I was pointed to http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/ which is great but lacks an adequate sample size...
It also may be rather out of date. One of the "things I like least" about Northwestern was y2k computer issues slowing down some administrative efforts! :laugh: :laugh:

Orthodoc40 said:
LOL!! Whoops - well since I had no intention of applying to schools there, I didn't really keep it in my mind, but looking at the list, I'm pretty sure it would be Mercer. Its NOT Medical College of Georgia...!!

Why do you say it's NOT MCG? Unfortunately, the comment was about MCG. I loved it when I interviewed there, so I don't see why they hated it so much, but I'm sure there's at least one person at every med school who wishes they had gone elsewhere.

zook said:
Why do you say it's NOT MCG? Unfortunately, the comment was about MCG. I loved it when I interviewed there, so I don't see why they hated it so much, but I'm sure there's at least one person at every med school who wishes they had gone elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure it was a school w/a name. You know, not like "University of" or "Medical College of", and the place, Macon, rings a bell. Whatever it was I read had more than one student's comments, though...I'm pretty sure - geech, maybe I've completely forgotten all the important details! You know, we only have so many brain cells - I must have run out...
:eek:

bump for original topic

Petereson's is supposedly written by students but is not very descriptive and does not seem genuine. Is Baron, Kaplans, TPR any better???

Bump.

Anyone have any ideas how to take a systematic look at student satisfaction/happiness?

How does everyone pick med schools, location and name?

Lanced said:
Bump.

Anyone have any ideas how to take a systematic look at student satisfaction/happiness?

How does everyone pick med schools, location and name?

Bump.

Anybody know a good source for student satisfaction info?

The only 'good' source is to go to the school and take a wide-ranging sampling of the students. In the end, though, your own happiness will depend on so many factors that are unique to yourself that even a comprehensive student survey can be useless. Location, support system, curriculum setup etc can be so much more important than rankings.

Yeah this is something I am really interested in. Good advice willow18 but I do think somethings are constant among "most" students. Anybody have any ideas of where we can find this?

willow18 said:
The only 'good' source is to go to the school and take a wide-ranging sampling of the students. In the end, though, your own happiness will depend on so many factors that are unique to yourself that even a comprehensive student survey can be useless. Location, support system, curriculum setup etc can be so much more important than rankings.