Student Schedules at OCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, same question as the thread below
What is the OCPM freshman 1st yr schedule like?

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

semester 1
mon 8-12 anatomy lab/lecture 12:45-3:45 histology lecture, group lab there is an individual lab from 4-7pm
tues 9-11 intro to medicine 12:30-2:30 biochem
wed 8-12 anatomy 12:45-3 histology 3:30 -5:30 pm biochem
thurs 9-11 intro to pod med 1 12:30-2:30 biochem
fri 12:30-2:30 biochem

thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
to prepare for school, what would be better: Microbiology or animal physiology?

what exactly would you say it is that you do in individual lab?

the class is divided up into sections, A, B OR C. these sections then meet for an hour in the histology lab to go over slides, you observe them yourself with your own microscope-- these are the slide that are on the lab practicum

thats pretty sweet. along those lines: i have another question. Do you buy a lot of equipment in the first couple years? I saw at some places you buy a microscope and a dissecting kit, etc.

Thanks for your help!

thats pretty sweet. along those lines: i have another question. Do you buy a lot of equipment in the first couple years? I saw at some places you buy a microscope and a dissecting kit, etc.

Thanks for your help!

we don't buy microscopes - you'll need a dissecting kit, scrubs, and vinyl gloves - you will also need equipment pertaining to physical diagnosis and practicals i.e. stethoscopes, neurological hammers, etc. You wouldn't buy all of them in the first year - some you'd need for the first year while the rest will be used for the 2nd year and the list of equipment will be provided for you during the first month of class.

I should also mention that typically OPMSA (ohio podiatric medical students association) places class orders collectively to get a group discount - so we try to minimize the costs as much as we can.

semester 1
mon 8-12 anatomy lab/lecture 12:45-3:45 histology lecture, group lab there is an individual lab from 4-7pm
tues 9-11 intro to medicine 12:30-2:30 biochem

Just out of curiosity, if you'd be willing to help:

Could you amend this post to include your studying times?

i.e., for each day, what would typically be the amount and schedule of the times that you would ordinarily devote to studying? Perspective would be nice.

mon 8-12 anatomy lab/lecture 12:45-3:45 histology lecture, group lab there is an individual lab from 4-7pm tues 9-11 intro to medicine 12:30-2:30 biochem studying

I usually studying 2-3 hrs a day depending on the amount of lecture material for that day. I also spend extra time in the anatomy lab 2-3 times a week reviewing the cadaver for about 1-2hrs before or after class. (tues, wed, fri usually) During the weekend there are also study groups where the TAs will come in and answer any questions you have.
Biochemistry, Gross Anatomy and Histology are the three classes to really concentrate on. Your are in class more hours per week for them and thus need more time to prepare for them. Although dont, totally ignore the other classes either. The three above are just the easiest ones to get behind in.

Also, about 2 weeks before exams, I intensively review and that could last up 4 hrs per day for each subject depending on how well Ive retained the needed information.

I try to leave one day a week (usually wed b/c class gets out so late) that i take time for myself and just relax. It is really important to keep somewhat of a steady schedule for studying, working out, relaxing, etc so it is easier to deal when your schedule becomes stressful.

The art of studying depends on what works best for you. A certain time of the day may not be the best time for everyone else. Also the amount of time you spend studying is also up to you. One good saying is" You get out of it what you put into it."
I hope this helps . . . .