Student with ADHD and Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malibu3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have struggled with ADHD and anxiety for a really long time. I procrastinate a lot, my anxiety gets in the way of my memory, I get upset when I don't understand certain things first try, and I get nervous for no reason. Is anyone here in the same bout? I haven't even started school yet and I already feel like I am going to fail.

Anyone know any good tips/methods for PT school (learning and memory)?

I am just super scared to fail.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
you'll definitely want to get in contact with the disability resource center at your school ASAP if you anticipate needing test taking accommodations. these things can take a while to process

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I would connect with academic counselors at the school right away when you start. Maybe even just set up regular meetings so you are talking about your plan and working through stuff before the semester piles up.

OP - Have you tried meditation or mindfulness exercises to bring your nervousness under control? As for improving your memory, read "Moonwalking with Einstein". That book saved my tush multiple times in PT school.

OP - Have you tried meditation or mindfulness exercises to bring your nervousness under control? As for improving your memory, read "Moonwalking with Einstein". That book saved my tush multiple times in PT school.

I have a bit. Just starting doing yoga and taking 10 mg of vvyanse. I think that alot of it is confidence in myself too.

you'll definitely want to get in contact with the disability resource center at your school ASAP if you anticipate needing test taking accommodations. these things can take a while to process

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I think that I am okay. I use to have accommodations back in high school, but I think that they hindered my performance a bit. In college, school came naturally to me and I did great without them. I think back in high school it made me think that I had more time and I actually wouldnt finish things (with extra time).

Meet with your professors often. If you are assigned advisors, have at least one update meeting per semester with them. I struggle with similar issues and having the face to face time with professors has been invaluable. Definitely don't worry that it will be worse in PT school - I'm not sure how your undergraduate faculty was, but the faculty at my PT school are more supportive and encouraging than any other professors I've ever had! They do everything they can to make sure each student succeeds, and some of mine have even added certain lecturing methods to their classes that I mentioned helped me. Classes are hard and getting behind is stressful, but there's lots of support in place among faculty and even your classmates that you'll do well!

As far as studying for classes, making a schedule and writing it down with set study time blocks throughout the week - and then posting this schedule somewhere I'd see it multiple times a day (I did the fridge door!) - has kept me from procrastinating my studying even when my anxiety gets really bad. I also use different methods to study depending on the class. Those that are difficult to sit and listen to (8 to 5 classes!) I explain the material out loud to myself while reviewing the material. I write down charts to consolidate information heavy lectures because it helps me get all the info right in front of me and I find that it's much easier to focus on a graph than 100 individual slides. If I still struggle I talk things through with classmates or my professors. My professors have even set up phone appointments to talk me through material since I commute and can't stay on campus too late during the week.

Most importantly - MAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF. I have classmates who study at least four hours a day. I know that my anxiety will flare up and my ADHD won't let me focus that long. I always take a "brain break" of an hour of video games the night before exams and it really helps me lower anxiety and focus when I get down to studying. You know yourself best, and you won't do well if you burn out 8 weeks in. Make time to de stress, especially during hectic weeks!