Student with disabilities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luke77

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm one year out of undergrad and seriously considering going to med school. My stats are fairly strong and I'm fairly certain that if I worked for a year in a research setting while preparing for the application process, studying for MCATs, etc. I would be able to get in to a top-25 school, perhaps top-10, depending on my MCAT scores. However, I'm extremely wary about debt and probably will not attend if it means going deeply into debt to finance things. I'd rather go to a lower-ranked or no-name school than go into deep debt, especially since I'm not sure my specialty will be one where I can easily repay the debt after graduation.

So anyways, I'm trying to determine whether it's likely that I'll be able to get a scholarship/fellowship or something. It looks (from my reading of it) like I am not a URM, but I do have a disability that qualifies under the Americans with Disabilities act. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether there are any scholarships available for people with disabilities? Thanks for any help.

Luke

Members don't see this ad.

I know that I am not answering your question, but I would just like to give you some advice - as a recent medical school graduate with a disability.

You did not specify what kind of disability you have, but be sure to attend a school which is supportive of students with disabilities. Many programs are not very forgiving or supportive. I developed a chronic illness after acceptance into medical school and was lucky that my school was understanding. That being said, it is still difficult to deal with a disability while going through medical school. It is very important to have a good support system as soon as possible. I formed close relationships with counselors in my school's student affairs area, made friends with fellow students and joined a student organization for those with disabilities.

The best way to look for scholarships for those with a disability is to talk to the financial aid departments of the schools which you are looking at. They would have the most information about getting money for school. I unfortunately was unable to find any scholarsips for myself and am 200k in debt.

Depending on the type of disability you have, you may find a scholarship available if you register online with sites such as fastweb.com.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help. Good luck with your applications.