students at U pitt please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSMF

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be joining school this august, I needed some advice on choosing a place to buy a house.
Me and my husband are moving to pittsburgh in two weeks.We were considering buying a house in north of pittsburgh, precisely at wexford, north hills area. The major reason for considering this area is that , we are getting pretty much newly constructed houses and also I won't be coming through any tunnel and will not hit a major tarffic hassle during the rush hour(hopefully).
Please advice me if living in this area would be a good option....commute wise.
This place is like 15 miles from school.
The directions to school would include a commute on I 79 south, I 279 south and last I 579.
Also I am considering to take park and ride from somewhere...near the city or.....i am really not sure!!
Please help me....and anyone if you are commuting from these areas I would love to talk to u once and get a more clearer picture.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I will be starting with you at Pitt in August as well! Although I don't commute from the Wexford/North Hills area right now, I grew up around Pittsburgh and am fairly familiar with the area. It is definitely a bonus that coming from the north you will not have to drive through the tunnels...but 279/529 can get very backed up during rush hours since these are the main ways taken by people living north of pittsburgh. So I would not assume that just because there are no tunnels that you will not be sitting in traffic for a while. However, I have been to many other cities and personally believe that Pittsburgh doesn't have that bad of traffic to begin with. As for the area you are looking at....I don't know if you have a familiy or not but the schools in that area are very good and in general it is a very nice place to live. Hope this gives you some help or at least something to think about...Good luck and see you in August!

Thanks adriann!! Could you please give me one more info ...
I was thinking of commuting till some park and ride and take a bus from there to the school. So coming from wexford, which would be the park and ride best for me and do I get a direct bus from there to school??
Also, how bad does the traffic get?? I mean I know it gets really bad in washington DC area, thats where I am coming from(VA). Lets say around 6.30 to 7.00 Am , is it bad??
Thanks again!! U are really a great help!!

Hi! I would say if you plan on traveling into town around 6:30-7 I can't imagine the traffic being that bad...especially if you're used to the washington dc traffic. Also I'm not exactly sure about which specific park and ride you would use or which bus to take...but a good site to check out is: http://www.portauthority.org/ride/pgSchedules.asp
There is a link on the page to find park and rides and then specify north side...and then maybe from there you can decide which one would be best to get you to pitt. I hope this can help...if you have any others questions just let me know! Good luck!