Students delaying graduation after matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manny24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read that some students who HATE where they matched delay graduation on purpose to get out of their binding match agreement. Isn't this a match violation?

Members don't see this ad.

I have only heard of students delaying graduation because they failed to match and want to still re-apply as a "graduating senior." That allows you to obtain additional rotations/research/whatever while still under the wing of your home institution so that you can match next time. I can't fathom that a school would allow someone who actually matched to extend graduation, so I'd like to see your source.

As we've told you a few times now, I'm sorry you don't like where you SOAP'd, but chances are you're stuck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Yes. This is a match violation, though depending on how the program/school treats the situation they may or may not be banned from future participation in the match for some kind of time. I've never heard of this being done routinely.

If they hate the program they shouldn't have ranked it.

Reactions: 5 users
I read that some students who HATE where they matched delay graduation on purpose to get out of their binding match agreement. Isn't this a match violation?

Even if this weren't a match violation, I can't imagine anyone doing this. By delaying graduation a year, you would almost certainly have to pay an additional year of tuition. One whole year of tuition (which, nowadays, is enough to buy a brand new Mercedes), just because you didn't like your Match result? That is like stabbing yourself in the eye to get out of a date with someone that you don't like - technically it might have the desired result, but it's a little extreme....

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

Just go where you are matched and have a positive attitude about it. If you really end up hating it, you can always try to change. If you ended up in such a bad place because you went far down on your match list, the chances you'll end up at a 'better' place is small.

In the end, you have a chance to become a board certified physician. There are lots of people who would love to be in your shoes who didn't match.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
You can't delay graduation. It IS a match violation and you will not be able to use the NRMP to find another program. Reading your post history, it seems you didn't match. You SOAPed into a specialty you didn't want. This is one of the major cons of the match that's been preached about and written about for years -- desperate students take whatever offer because they're concerned about not being employed at all.

Unfortunately, once you accept the offer, you're bound by the Match agreement and that's that you show up on day one. That said, you're in a predicament that sucks, but isn't hopeless. Do you mind telling you which specialty you SOAPed into?

You can re-apply to the Match during intern year. Depending on how rigorous the specialty you SOAPed into is compared to the specialty you want, you can actually do okay as a re-applicant with intern year under your belt, assuming you do really well this year.

My advice would be to show up for intern year and make a commitment to being Intern of the Year. Don't give any hint of not wanting to be there. Don't make enemies. Work your ass off like you've never worked before. Those who take notice will help you get the specialty you want if you're good at your job. If your hospital has the specialty you want, residents in that specialty may also notice how good you are and when you re-apply, resident input will be crucial.

Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
You can't delay graduation. It IS a match violation and you will not be able to use the NRMP to find another program. Reading your post history, it seems you didn't match. You SOAPed into a specialty you didn't want. This is one of the major cons of the match that's been preached about and written about for years -- desperate students take whatever offer because they're concerned about not being employed at all.

Unfortunately, once you accept the offer, you're bound by the Match agreement and that's that you show up on day one. That said, you're in a predicament that sucks, but isn't hopeless. Do you mind telling you which specialty you SOAPed into?

You can re-apply to the Match during intern year. Depending on how rigorous the specialty you SOAPed into is compared to the specialty you want, you can actually do okay as a re-applicant with intern year under your belt, assuming you do really well this year.

My advice would be to show up for intern year and make a commitment to being Intern of the Year. Don't give any hint of not wanting to be there. Don't make enemies. Work your ass off like you've never worked before. Those who take notice will help you get the specialty you want if you're good at your job. If your hospital has the specialty you want, residents in that specialty may also notice how good you are and when you re-apply, resident input will be crucial.

Good luck!

Based on a prior post, he wanted to change from IM to General Surgery. I suspect if he didn't get a Surgery spot the first time around, it will only be harder the second time.

Now I do personally know at least two people that completed an IM program and then went on to go into a surgery residency program. That can be done. The best place to do it is the institution you do your IM at, if you can get friendly with the surgery residency.

Reactions: 2 users
The only answer in your situation is crush intern year. Make friends, not enemies. Keep an eye out for open PGY-1 and PGY-2 spots that will inevitably open throughout the year as people flame out then reach out. Keep in touch with letter writers from your med school and make new letter writers at your internship -- again by crushing intern year. Reach out when spots open up and see if you can apply for a spot outside the match. Failing that reapply through the match again this upcoming year for a PGY-1 spot.

Based on the fact you seem to be looking more for shortcuts than how to improve your work, I'm doubtful you will make the changes you need to make to secure a better spot.

Put on your big big/girl pants and just go to work. Lots of people don’t like their jobs their entire lived, you can do it for a few years

Reactions: 4 users
Seriously, as someone who matched WAY down on my list, the things I thought I'd hate about my program, I turned out to love in hindsight. I look back and it's almost comical that I ranked certain programs above the one I was at.

Reactions: 9 users
Fine. He should then be grateful he has a job for July. Even if it was via SOAP.

I totally understand being disappointed, and he/she is entitled to be disappointed for a little bit. But, after a while, you have to move on.

Reactions: 4 users
Fine. He should then be grateful he has a job for July. Even if it was via SOAP.

The guy (or gal) is allowed to be upset that he/she didn't get the specialty they wanted.

Reactions: 1 users
What program you trying to leave, OP? I'll take your spot and even pay you a nice commission.

Your right ... he has the right to be disappointed but at this point especially Bc he soaped he should be glad he has a job and start preparing for it

Reactions: 2 users
Your right ... he has the right to be disappointed but at this point especially Bc he soaped he should be glad he has a job and start preparing for it

I try to refrain from telling people what they should or shouldn't be glad about or grateful for when it comes to career/life-making situations. The OP may very well decide to leave the position. That's what he's asking for help on.

Seriously, as someone who matched WAY down on my list, the things I thought I'd hate about my program, I turned out to love in hindsight. I look back and it's almost comical that I ranked certain programs above the one I was at.

I think this is something that you can only see in hindsight, so in the moment you’re like “well this doesn’t apply to me because XYZ are HUGE issues with my program/match”. But it’s overwhelmingly true. In my case I matched for fellowship at the bottom of my list, in a program where the big name attending had left unexpectedly and I would be training with his newly graduated replacement. I thought I was 100 percent screwed. Turned out to be the greatest year of training of my career.

I always encourage residents to start the program off with a positive attitude and give it a few months. Almost inevitably it’s a far better experience than anticipated.

Reactions: 3 users
Here's the logistical thing - Medical schools have to attest during the match process that individuals are on track to graduate prior to the start of the matched position. So, it would be VERY had to justifiably not graduate an individual. Even if the individual failed a required rotation that was occurring in between, there is always May & June to remediate. It is not in the interest of the Medical Schools to delay graduation for anyone with a GME position waiting for them.

You can’t do this. I highly doubt that any medical school will let you. Even if you tried to take an LOA it would need to be long enough or the NRMP would probably just delay your start. If you really created a situation where you need a whole extra year, that will tank your application the next year

And people... I can not stress this ENOUGH...
Do NOT rank and/or commit to a program that you do not want to be at.

Reactions: 6 users