students on same level once granted interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vasco

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a current dental student who was on the admissions committee for a certain school last year. He told me what the general process was at his school for selecting applicants to fill their seats. One of the things he said was very interesting to me. He said that the adcom uses an applicant?s stats/extra. curr. stuff to decide who interview; however, once they have their interview pool they don't look at the grades again (except in very close circumstances). They consider everyone on the same level once you have received an interview. So at this school the interview is a very important.

Have any of you out there heard something similar to this? Do most schools do the same thing? For those of you out their on admissions committees, does your school do this?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe some schools do what you described above and others (i.e University of Toronto Dental) gives you a score on your interview. I think it's like 60% G.P.A, 30% interview, and 10% DAT. I know BU puts everyone on the same level once you get an interview... I think temple does too. In any case, you should always be yourself and try your best at any interview. All the interviews I went to were just conversations trying to get to know me. Nothing to worry about at all.

vasco said:
I was talking to a current dental student who was on the admissions committee for a certain school last year. He told me what the general process was at his school for selecting applicants to fill their seats. One of the things he said was very interesting to me. He said that the adcom uses an applicant?s stats/extra. curr. stuff to decide who interview; however, once they have their interview pool they don't look at the grades again (except in very close circumstances). They consider everyone on the same level once you have received an interview. So at this school the interview is a very important.

Have any of you out there heard something similar to this? Do most schools do the same thing? For those of you out their on admissions committees, does your school do this?

I was told something very similar by the admissions dean at my state school. He said that they first look at gpa's/DAT scores, and application info to determine their interview pool. He stated that once you get an interview, about 80% of their decision to accept you or not is based on your interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, other schools have a point system. You get a certain amount of points for the various quality of your research, extracirriculars, GPA, the interview, DAT, etc.

Thanks for the replies...I forgot to mention that this information is for Louisville.

eric275 said:
I was told something very similar by the admissions dean at my state school. He said that they first look at gpa's/DAT scores, and application info to determine their interview pool. He stated that once you get an interview, about 80% of their decision to accept you or not is based on your interview.

hello eric,
can you tell me what school you're talking about? thanks!

I think it really depends on the school. At BU they really didn't even ask me any questions, they actually wanted me to ask them questions. During the interview we talked more about the the Bo Sox than dentistry. So I'm pretty sure that I was accepted before the interview even happened. At UIC however, I know that they put everyone on the same level for interviews. Extracurriculars are talked about during most interviews so its still to your benefit if you have research etc. One of my interviewers at UIC didn't even look at my file, and knew nothing of my stats, only my name and things like that.

Halitosis said:
hello eric,
can you tell me what school you're talking about? thanks!

Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU), np. :)