Study Abroad Credits

Started by MilkIsGood
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MilkIsGood

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I studied abroad last summer taking Beginner and Internediate Spanish courses at a foreign college. I ended up with an A in beg and B in intermediate (school used a 1-10 scale). The credits transferred in to my undergrad as a lump sum of 9 credit hours from the foreign university.

How does AMCAS and TMDSAS count these? From what I read from their sites, I dont send in a transcript from the foreign college if credit transferred into my school, and since it just says i got credit, i would put a grade?

is this correct?
 
I studied abroad last summer taking Beginner and Internediate Spanish courses at a foreign college. I ended up with an A in beg and B in intermediate (school used a 1-10 scale). The credits transferred in to my undergrad as a lump sum of 9 credit hours from the foreign university.

How does AMCAS and TMDSAS count these? From what I read from their sites, I dont send in a transcript from the foreign college if credit transferred into my school, and since it just says i got credit, i would put a grade?

is this correct?

You do not need a foreign transcript.

What grade does it say on your ug transcript? My study abroad program gave me letter grades, but my school just converted them to P/F on my official transcript. In AMCAS, I just put Pass as the grade.

Enter the grade how it is on your transcript. Is it just credit? Then I don't think you enter a grade (like I didn't enter a grade for my AP classes since they were just credit).

Or ask a premed adviser at your school. They should be able to help you. Or contact AMCAS, they are helpful too. Don't take our advice here without questioning it because we do not have all the facts right in front of us and you want to make sure you do it right.
 
My study abroad credits transferred to P/F on my home institution transcript. I sent in my foreign transcript (with letter grades) and got them counted in my GPA calculation. This was especially awesome considering I got a 4.0 that semester (a seemingly non-existent possibility at my home school).

So why not give it a try. Not much effort.
 
You do not need a foreign transcript.

What grade does it say on your ug transcript? My study abroad program gave me letter grades, but my school just converted them to P/F on my official transcript. In AMCAS, I just put Pass as the grade.

Enter the grade how it is on your transcript. Is it just credit? Then I don't think you enter a grade (like I didn't enter a grade for my AP classes since they were just credit).

Or ask a premed adviser at your school. They should be able to help you. Or contact AMCAS, they are helpful too. Don't take our advice here without questioning it because we do not have all the facts right in front of us and you want to make sure you do it right.

my grades transferred in as pass/fail. my foreign grades were on a scale of 1-10, not letter grades. it'd be a lot easier if i dont need to submit my foreign transcript, and since I got a B grade, it wont hurt my gpa. thanks for the help