Study Abroad in Activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosty42

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a study abroad semester be included in the activities section?

I did not plan on including it in my personal statement since it does not necessarily have to do with my path to medicine. I know the courses and grades will be listed in my transcript so adcoms will see it that way.

However, it was extremely meaningful to me - my father is from the country I studied abroad in and I had never been there before. I learned the language, experienced the culture, met relatives, and visited my dad's hometown for the first time. It was a very powerful experience and I would love to talk about it as a most meaningful experience.

Would this be "double dipping" in some way, since my semester is included in the academics section? Would it be better to include this in my personal statement or can I keep it as part of the activities section?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Can a study abroad semester be included in the activities section?

I did not plan on including it in my personal statement since it does not necessarily have to do with my path to medicine. I know the courses and grades will be listed in my transcript so adcoms will see it that way.

However, it was extremely meaningful to me - my father is from the country I studied abroad in and I had never been there before. I learned the language, experienced the culture, met relatives, and visited my dad's hometown for the first time. It was a very powerful experience and I would love to talk about it as a most meaningful experience.

Would this be "double dipping" in some way, since my semester is included in the academics section? Would it be better to include this in my personal statement or can I keep it as part of the activities section?

Thanks for your help.
We commonly see study abroad semester(s) being listed in the activities section. You should be fine doing what you described. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 users