Study Abroad in Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keande05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have an idea about what schools offer Study abroad programs either in residency or during the summer? Or schools that have mission work opportunities outside of the US?

I am very interested in traveling. I live in Kentucky and I would want to stay within 6-8 hours of the state. Let me know what you know!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe Univ. of Pittsburgh has a rotation in Italy, but people there told me you have to cover your own expenses for that rotation. Not sure about other schools. Even if a school doesn't have study abroad, there's a program called the IPSF student exchange that can place you in a pharmacy practice setting abroad for a month or so in the summer. I believe housing is typically covered for these programs, but you'd have to pay for your flight. I know a guy that went to Turkey with this program, and he seemed to really enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have an idea about what schools offer Study abroad programs either in residency or during the summer? Or schools that have mission work opportunities outside of the US?

I am very interested in traveling. I live in Kentucky and I would want to stay within 6-8 hours of the state. Let me know what you know!

UF has tons of programs like this for rotation experiences. I imagine most schools do.

UK has programs like this for rotation. It is definitely something I'm planning on doing, too.

Many schools offer international rotations. UConn offers several, but availability varies each year. UConn also has a 5 week summer program in Beijing, learning about Traditional Chinese Medicine.

As someone else mentioned, getting involved in IPSF through APhA is another way to study abroad.

I am surprised I didn't mention this before, but I found the experience incredible. You learn so much and experience so much. I would highly recommend it to any student even remotely interested. :thumbup:

Purdue has an 8 week rotation in Kenya, but as long as there is a preceptor who will take you, they don't mind if you go anywhere.

Hey Everyone,