Study Abroad last semester of College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feather125

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm thinking about studying abroad my last semester of college. I have a second major in a foreign language and to finish that major I could study abroad. I could also stay in the country and take additional courses in that major.

There are a few things to consider:

I'm applying to medical school the same year, so I don't know if I would be still interviewing from January on, so it might be risky to sign up for that program not knowing if I could missing out on potential opportunities because I cannot afford to flying back and forth to the states all the time.

Also, my university has told me that they wouldn't be able to process those credits from study abroad until August, so I technically couldn't have my BS degree until then. Would that be a problem in terms of matriculating to a program should I be accepted?

I'm wondering if it's worth all the headache to study abroad. This is something I've really wanted to do but the bureaucracy of it seems really confusing and I don't know how many people get interviews from January onward.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to medical school the same year, so I don't know if I would be still interviewing from January on, so it might be risky to sign up for that program not knowing if I could missing out on potential opportunities because I cannot afford to flying back and forth to the states all the time.

This is a pretty good reason not to do it, IMO. High likelihood you'll get interviews in January.