study abroad transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anniemal

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, did anyone do a semester study abroad program while in college? if so, did you need to contact the foreign university, for an official transcript? what if your college included info about your study abroad grades on your transcipt, would that suffice?

Members don't see this ad.

anniemal said:
hi, did anyone do a semester study abroad program while in college? if so, did you need to contact the foreign university, for an official transcript? what if your college included info about your study abroad grades on your transcipt, would that suffice?

No need to request transcripts from foreign institutions, 'though you will need to file for a trancript request exemption. If foreign coursework was transferred to a U.S. institution, you will have to include the grade and credit hours earned (not necessary if foreign coursework is not transferred). AMCAS has a guidebook for that from their website.

If your study abroad program was sponsored by your university, then it already appears on your undergraduate transcript, and there's no need to fret about contacting foreign universities for transcripts(which is a nightmare, by the way).

For example, I studied abroad in Mexico, but it was sponsored by my university, so it appeared on my undergraduate transcript as grades as if I had taken the classes on campus, except there was a header at the beginning of the semester that said something like "Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey".

Check your transcript, or contact your study abroad office(here's a hint; if you HAVE a study abroad office and you went through them to organize the trip, then it was probably a university-sponsored program!) to see how the credits transferred.