Study Abroad Veterinary Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PurdueCVetMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do for summer study abroad programs? I am interested in small ruminants and equine as well as small animal medicine. I was hoping to look at places like New Zealand, Netherlands, Ireland, Switzerland, etc..maybe even Australia.
Or do you have any suggestions for organizations to go through for study abroad experiences?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've had several friends work abroad for a summer. Most of them just contacted veterinary practices directly in the places they were interested in working to see if they would be willing to take a student into the practice. I don't think most of them were paid, and if you'll be going for longer than your visa allows you to stay for (and sometimes even if shorter periods of time) the immigration agents at the airport will ask for some documentation that you have money to support yourself for the time that you're there, to ensure you are not working while there. I've had that experience for England and Ireland, but I haven't spent long periods of time in some of the other places you mentioned.

I am also looking for a summer externship where I can get some small ruminant experience (where they speak english)...so far, no luck whatsoever. At this point, I would be happy with finding any clinic in the US to go where they actually have a good caseload for small ruminant, but no such luck on that front either.