Study abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helprosie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of studying abroad in the future. I would be taking my business classes and also the first part of inorganic chemistry. The way my school does inorganic chemistry is 2 lectures and 1 lab and you receive 8 credits. So you can take the first lecture in one semester then in the following semester you would take the second lecture and lab. Would it be wise to take the first lecture abroad with a school that is partnered with my college so the credit will transfer onto my US college transcript or should I just take it at my college? Is it true dental schools only want US 4yr-institution course credit?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should waste your study abroad opportunity holed up in your room studying chemistry. Most people I know who studied abroad (including myself) did so when they were able to take relatively easy (read: not time intensive) courses that counted as distribution credits or just for fun. I studied abroad during my senior spring semester and it was hands down the best experience I had in all of college. Try to study abroad, and try to plan your coursework so that you can fully enjoy it!

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think you should waste your study abroad opportunity holed up in your room studying chemistry. Most people I know who studied abroad (including myself) did so when they were able to take relatively easy (read: not time intensive) courses that counted as distribution credits or just for fun. I studied abroad during my senior spring semester and it was hands down the best experience I had in all of college. Try to study abroad, and try to plan your coursework so that you can fully enjoy it!
I was thinking of studying abroad senior spring semester also, but don't dental schools still have interviews during that time?

I was thinking of studying abroad senior spring semester also, but don't dental schools still have interviews during that time?
Some do, and I guess that could be a big gamble depending on your stats. I am a nontraditional applicant, so I didn't need to make that decision. If you have a strong application and apply very early, hopefully you would get fall interviews.