Study Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vandyam

Vulnera Sanentur
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is study abroad credit only allowed to count as Pass/Fail on your AACOMAS? I went abroad through a study abroad program at my home university. Unfortunately, the home university does not include what classes I took or my grades for those classes on my transcript. When I've contacted AACOMAS about this, they said they could simply list the class as "study abroad" with a grade of "pass."

However, I made A's in science classes while abroad in the UK (immunology, physiology, and pharmacology) - and I wanted those to count towards my science GPA. Is study abroad credit only ever allowed to count as P/F? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is study abroad credit only allowed to count as Pass/Fail on your AACOMAS? I went abroad through a study abroad program at my home university. Unfortunately, the home university does not include what classes I took or my grades for those classes on my transcript. When I've contacted AACOMAS about this, they said they could simply list the class as "study abroad" with a grade of "pass."

However, I made A's in science classes while abroad in the UK (immunology, physiology, and pharmacology) - and I wanted those to count towards my science GPA. Is study abroad credit only ever allowed to count as P/F? Thanks!

I think it depends. If your schools lists your study abroad grades on your official transcript as letter grades (A-F) than you should be alright (It worked that way for me). Since you said it's not listed on your official transcript, I'm not too sure. Are you submitting a transcript from the foreign school as well?

My experience is that study abroad grades can count as more than P/F if your university has listed it on your transcript with letter grades. My school had a conversion factor to transfer European grades to American grades, and only the American grades were listed on my transcript under specific course headers, not just "study abroad". (All of my grades went into non-science though)

Yeah, for anyone wondering it turns out you are right. My university does not include the classes on the GPA because it is P/F for the university. No idea why I busted my hump to get A's in those classes if it wasn't going to count in the first place.

I have one other question though - what about received your "verified" GPAs? I mean, lets say I have a class that I put down as "science" (human osteology, for example - which is under the heading ANTH-248 and is a physical anthropology class), but AACOMAS, for what ever reason, decides it is "non-science." Does this delay my application another 4-6 weeks because they disagree with me about the classification of the class? Thanks!