shad420w

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2004
Status
While taking step 2 I realized what I could have done to optimize my studying. I wanted to share what I found personally with the my studying and the exam.

My stats (so far): Step 1 241/99
Step 2: usmle world (87% done): Cumulative percent 68% on all timed random 46q blocks (no repeats).

(1) Finish Usmleworld. I saw some "copies" of world questions on my step 2. Even if I didn't see that question.. a lot of times the explanation to the wrong answer on world helped me answer a step 2 question.

This isn't a revelation (everyone here basically says to do U/W). However I wanted to explain exactly how world is beneficial. World does a great job of pointing out how to differentiate similar disease presentations (Measles, Rubella etc). My step 2 had many questions that I could narrow down to two and thanks to usmle world's explanations I "think" I was able to figure out the answer.

I also felt that when USMLE world state something was high yield for step 2... there were usually right. I had a lot of shock questions on my step 2 that kept coming up in world. I think that U/W prepared you for the types of questions you would see.

(2) Using Crush Step 2. When I started reading crush I felt that it was too superficial and was not happy I chose the source. However.. I now realize that it is a nice and concise review to go over before the exam. I could read through Crush about 3 times and pick up some high yield info. This did not take away too much from U/W question time. I think that had I read FA.. I would have been overwhelmed with how much material there was and could not have made multiple laps through the book (which is how I usually study).

I had kinkos put Crush Step 2 in a 3 ring binder. This way I could insert tables from printouts or add pieces of paper with my own notes to sections of crush. I probably only added about 10 pages.. but I think it was worth it.

(3) Side notes from my personal exam experience
No questions on storage diseases (thank god)

A lot of shock questions (diff Neurogenic, Septic, etc. ). It wasn't just solely based on cardiovascular parameters... there were a few times it was based purely on signs and symptoms.

I had a question about a woman who thought her inflammatory breast cancer was her fetus that would migrate to her uterus in 15 years and then deliver.

Good luck!

markglt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
so in your opinion FA for step 2 is overkill?
how did you feel the nbme's (if you took any) compared to the real thing?

OP
S

shad420w

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2004
Status
To be honest I had a printout of first aid and would sometimes look at their charts (for cardiac arrhythmia and nephritis). I actually took some of those charts and stuck them into the 3 ring binder.

I know some people on here read FA. I needed a source that I could read at 2-3 times. I don't think I could have done that and all of world in 3 and 1/2 weeks.

I think if you could know FA and world... you would probably be in better shape than crush and world... but same could be say for Harrison's and world.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
so in your opinion FA for step 2 is overkill?
how did you feel the nbme's (if you took any) compared to the real thing?
Agree with the OP, the explanations on World should be your primary text book, and something like Crush or Boards and wards makes a nice supplemental overview. If you have time you can add other stuff, but don't do it at the expense of finishing World IMHO.

OP
S

shad420w

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2004
Status
Did you sign up for a month of USMLE world or is that not enough time?
I actually had U/W for my 3rd year but I rarely used it during this time..

I think a month should suffice to go through the questions.. granted you spend the majority of the time doing that.

I actually had U/W for my 3rd year but I rarely used it during this time..

I think a month should suffice to go through the questions.. granted you spend the majority of the time doing that.
Agreed....it depends on if you are doing questions all day or just at night but one month should be pretty good. Also I would not freak if you don't finish the Qbank. While I will admit it would be helpful to finish it it's not a "requirement" to do well. Use tutor mode when you do the Qbank though. Good luck!

Kris1

Mega-Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have completed over half of UW with relatively good results... until today! Cardiovascular is killing me. Did anyone think this section was particularly difficult?

medInUSA

10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have completed over half of UW with relatively good results... until today! Cardiovascular is killing me. Did anyone think this section was particularly difficult?
Yes Cardio in UWorld is a monster! Persevere and go over your wrong answers carefully

tfom08

10+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
Yes Cardio in UWorld is a monster! Persevere and go over your wrong answers carefully
I think cardio on the new Kaplan qbank is even harder. It is pretty ridic. The UW was more realistic IMO. Pay attention to the EKGs, there are quite a few on CK.

OP
S

shad420w

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2004
Status
just found out today

250/99.

Good luck everyone!

FYI: I walked out thinking I did worse than step I

FreakofMeds

7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Great stuff. I am wondering why is there no "Official experiences threat" for step II like the one for step 1?

Aug 21, 2009
Status
MD/PhD Student
Has anybody take Step 2 CK since the August 10 change? I was wondering if you still think USMLE world and Secrets is the way to go in preparing for it. It makes me nervous that the number of questions is decreased but the amount of time to take the test is the same. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Knicks

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2007
Status
Has anybody take Step 2 CK since the August 10 change? I was wondering if you still think USMLE world and Secrets is the way to go in preparing for it. It makes me nervous that the number of questions is decreased but the amount of time to take the test is the same. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!
What change?

AFDuck

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A couple people have already posted on this thread about their test-taking experience since the switch Aug 10th. You can look back a bit for them, but the general sense that reading those posts left me with was that there wasn't any huge difference in the question format (maybe a few more multimedia).

AFDuck

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Correction: the posts I referred to above are in the big experiences thread, sorry!